Notice: macOS 12 (Monterey) Advisory (Oct 13 10:10 am)
Apple is expected to release macOS 12 (Monterey) in October or November. At this time, ITS recommends against upgrading to macOS 12 (Monterey).
macOS Monterey is a major update to the macOS operating system, taking it from version 11 to version 12. As has been experienced with previous major updates, there is a possibility that applications, especially older applications, may not be immediately compatible upon release of Monterey.
Until Monterey is released, ITS will not be able to fully test to see which applications are not compatible. This notice will be updated as more information becomes available.
To prevent your macOS from updating to Monterey automatically, please do the following:
- Go to the Apple menu and select "System Preferences"
- Click on the "Software Update" icon
- Make sure the box for "Automatically keep my Mac up to date" is unchecked
- Click on the "Advanced" button
- Uncheck the box for "Install macOS updates"
- If desired, also uncheck the box for "Download new updates when available"
- Click "OK"
- Close the Software Update window
In general, ITS recommends against immediately upgrading to the latest version of any operating system when it is first released due to the possible compatibility issues.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the ITS Help Desk.