Globus Online for UH HPC Users
Globus Online addresses the challenges faced by researchers in moving, sharing, and archiving large volumes of data among distributed sites. With Globus Online, you hand-off data movement tasks to a hosted service that manages the entire operation, monitoring performance and errors, retrying failed transfers, correcting problems automatically whenever possible, and reporting status to keep you informed so that you can focus on your research. Command line and web-based GUI interfaces are both available.
- Register for a Globus Online account. You can sign-up using your UH credentials by selecting the “University of Hawaii” from the dropdown and clicking Continue. You will then be taken to the UH login page (or if you have already logged into a UH authenticated session it will take to your account page). You are done.
- Sign in to Globus Online (using your Globus Online username and password)
- Select ‘Start Transfer’ under ‘File Transfer’, or from the drop down menu in the top bar.
- In the ‘Start Transfer’ page, you can view the list of available endpoints by clicking the button on the ‘Endpoint’ drop down box.
- You can use the UH HPC endpoints “hawaii#UHHPC1” or “hawaii#UHHPC2” as well as other sources or destinations.
- You can type letters into the box to filter endpoints.
- Once you select the UH HPC endpoint, a login window will pop up. You can access the UH HPC endpoints on Globus Online by simply using your UH username and password. Enter your UH accounts username in the ‘Username’ field and UH accounts password in the ‘Password’ field and click ‘Authenticate’.
- You will see a listing of the contents of your home directory on the UH HPC. Double click on a directory to view its contents.
- Select a file or directory and click on the highlighted ‘arrow button’ to initiate the transfer.
The procedure is same for other endpoints.
Transferring Data Between The UH ITS HPC Cluster and Your Machine
To transfer data between the UH HPC Cluster and your laptop or desktop, you can install Globus Connect on your machine and access it via Globus Online.
- Download Globus Connect by going to the Dashboard (select ‘Dashboard’ in the ‘Go To’ drop down box in the top bar) and clicking on ‘Globus Connect’. Globus Connect is available as a one-click install for Mac, Linux, and Windows.
- Install Globus Connect following the instructions for your operating system
- Run Globus Connect. When you run Globus Connect for the first time, it will ask you for a setup key.
- On the Globus Online web page, go to the Dashboard (select ‘Dashboard’ in the ‘Go To’ drop down box in the top bar), click on ‘Globus Connect’, and enter an endpoint name (eg., mylaptop) to identify your machine on Globus Online.
- Click ‘Generate Setup Key’
- Copy the setup key and paste it into the Globus Connect window to complete the setup process.
You should now see your machine in the list of endpoints (‘Start Transfer’ screen) identified as ‘
‘ on Globus Online. You can select it to view the contents of your machine and transfer files to and from it as above.
Using the Command Line Interface
In order to use the Globus Online Command Line Interface (CLI), you must add your SSH public key (typically found in $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) to your Globus Online account.
- Select ‘My Account’ from the ‘Go To’ drop down box in the top bar.
- Click the ‘Manage Identities’ link in the left column, then click on ‘Add SSH Public Key’.
- Paste the contents of your SSH public key into the ‘SSH Public Key’ field (you can optionally enter any name you like in the ‘Alias’ field) and click on ‘Add SSH Key’. It will take a minute or two for the SSH key to become active for use.
You can now log in to the CLI by typing ‘
ssh ‘ at a command prompt. This logs you into a restricted shell where you can execute only Globus Online commands. Type ‘help’ to see all available commands, and ‘
help ‘ or ‘
‘ for help on a specific command. There is also a ‘man’ page for each command accessed as ‘
‘. For more information on the command line interface, you can refer to the Globus Online CLI Command Reference.