- 45-3380 Mamane St. #3, Honokaa, HI, 96727
Library Basics & Maintenance (i.e. shelving, item inspection, training, etc.) 20%, Collection Development 10%, Research & Analysis (i.e. researching other libraries programs or finding out about other institutions in the community) 20%, Outreach/Implementation (i.e. drafting ideas, posting flyers, executing ideas, program shadowing, etc.) 40%, Other 10%
Honokaa Public Library is a small public library serving the Honokaa and Paauilo communities as the local Hawaii State Public Library System branch. Our historic plantation style building houses about 20,000 items including books, audiobooks, CDs, and DVDs as well as a selection of archival materials.
- LIS 601 Introduction to Reference & Information Services
- Ability to work with a variety of people
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work independently (given guidelines)
- Basic knowledge of library services
- Willingness to learn
The weekly schedule must fall within the operating hours of Honokaa Public Library: Monday 11-7 pm, Tuesday 9-5 pm, Wednesday 9-5 pm, Thursday 11-7 pm, and Friday 9-3 pm. Regular hours are expected.
Goals and Outcomes
- Learn and apply library policies and procedures
- Apply statistic-based analysis and branch Collection Development Policy to one or more of the library collections
- With guidance, research, shadow and assess information services for specific users and communities
- Conduct searches using the library databases
At the start of the internship, the intern and supervisor will create specific goals and timelines for the semester. Throughout the semester, the intern and supervisor will meet weekly to verbally evaluate his/her progress. At the end of the semester, successful completion of the internship will be determined by met and unmet goals and intern’s and supervisor’s evaluation of work.
Weekly (verbal) with an end of semester review (written).
- Laura Eiford
- (808) 775-8881