Windward Community College presents Love Local Style, a collection of short plays about love in Hawaiʻi written by some of the state’s most talented local playwrights in celebration of Valentine’s Day. Love Local Style is directed by Taurie Kinoshita and performed by Windward CC Theatre 260 students at Palikū Theatre, February 16–25.
Funny and tragic, moving and thought-provoking, Love Local Style captures the infinite variety of love, from romantic love to love of justice, from twisted love to filial love—different stories about radically different characters reflect the nuanced complexity of love in modern day Hawaiʻi.
Most of the short plays in Love Local Style are original and world premieres.
- Da Magic Bracelet by Lee Tonouchi, da pidgin guerilla, follows Bobby and Angelica as Bobby tries to prove he could be boyfriend material.
- In Silva Dala by Sean T. C. O’Malley, a couple struggles with what to do with an unforeseen inheritance.
- A grandmother initiates a heart-breaking policy of tough love with her addict grandson in Yellow Hibiscus by Lee Cataluna.
- Ryan Okinaka’s tale of a boy following his grandmother with dementia on a journey through the imagination is heart-warming and humorous.
- In Love and a Hydroflask by Noa Helala, a girl falls in love with a ghost.
- In The Rock by Eric Yokomori, a rejected boy pours all his love into a magic rock.
Show dates and times:
- February 16–17, Friday and Saturday, 7:30 p.m.
- February 18, Sunday, 4 p.m.
- February 22, Thursday, 4 p.m.
- February 23–24, Friday and Saturday, 7:30 p.m.
(Post-show talk with cast on Saturday, February 24)
- February 25, Sunday, 4 p.m.
- $5 Students (12+ and college students with ID), seniors (65+), military (with ID)
- $10 Adults
Purchase tickets online or call (808) 235-7310 to charge by phone.
Due to adult situations and themes, this play is recommended for ages 12 and older. Running time is 90 minutes.
Windward CC Theatre 260 students in the cast are Alakaʻi Cunningham, Jae An, Darla Richards, Keahi Coria, Jessica Jusseaume, Daphnei Hussein, Jason Cavinder, Likeke Nakachi-Isaacs, Mikie Davidson, River Philippus, Noah Schuetz, Michael Wall and Jeremy Whipple.
For more information about Love Local Style, contact Director Taurie Kinoshita at (808) 779-3456 or via email.