The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo signed a memorandum of understanding to share academic and research opportunities in maritime safety and security; navigational technologies; and marine, maritime and environmental management with Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Maritime University in Bangladesh.
In January, UH Hilo Interim Chancellor Marcia Sakai hosted a delegation from maritime university in the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, which included Vice Chancellor and Rear Admiral A S M Abdul Baten, Deputy Secretary of Education from the People’s Republic of Bangladesh Shahnaz Samad and other officials.
During their visit, the delegation met with faculty from the UH Hilo Department of Marine Science and College of Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resource Management to discuss projects under the agreement.
Possible projects include:
- Academic exchange programs, university publications, treaties and research materials
- Short-term faculty exchanges for cooperation in research, teaching and other scholarly activities
- Pursuit of educational and research funding
- Joint research projects and publications
- Professional development courses in maritime topics provided by UH Hilo and delivered in Bangladesh or elsewhere as mutually agreed
“The signing of the MOU with Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Maritime University broadens UH Hilo’s relationship with institutions of higher education in Asia, and we are especially excited to be exploring with them collaborative opportunities in marine science, aquaculture and computer science,” said Sakai.
For more on UH Hilo’s welcoming ceremony, go to UH Hilo Stories.