The University of Hawaiʻi Maui College and all UH education centers in Maui County are closed as of 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 11 and will be closed Wednesday, September 12 in anticipation of the arrival of Tropical Storm Olivia. This includes the education centers on Molokaʻi and Lānaʻi and in Lahaina and Hāna. To be clear, all Tuesday night classes scheduled after 4:30 p.m. are cancelled.
UH Maui College officials will determine when the campus and centers will reopen. UH continues to monitor Olivia and will determine whether to close Oʻahu campuses as it progresses.
Staff of Maui and Oʻahu should prepare their offices and facilities for a prolonged power outage:
- Turn off and unplug all electrical equipment and appliances (except phones), including: refrigerators (remove all items, defrost and wipe down), microwave ovens, coffee makers, battery chargers, computers, printers, fax machines, network devices (routers, switches, hubs, etc.), clocks, radios and window air conditioning units
- Move valuable items off the floor
- Backup computer files
- Cover electronics/furniture with plastic if possible
- Close all windows and blinds
- Secure important/confidential documents and valuables
- Remove perishable food from buildings, trash cans and refrigerators
- Update telephone and e-mail messages for the closure period
Please follow the National Weather Service, other official agencies and local media for the latest weather news.
All members of the UH community are urged to sign up for UH Alert to receive emergency text alerts. If you have already signed up, log in to ensure that your contact information is up-to-date: www.hawaii.edu/alert/
Notifications affecting UH campuses will be posted on the Emergency Information webpage, as well as on social media:
Please stay informed and updated: