Creative media artists and students interested in entrepreneurship and careers in creative media are invited to Windward Community College’s second annual Koʻolau Creative Media Conference on Thursday, May 2, 9 a.m.–1 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.
The 2019 conference will feature speakers and breakout sessions for career-focused creative media individuals interested in pursuing creative filmmaking, documentary filmmaking, video game design and related fields.
Speakers include representatives from local media companies Kolea Gold, TreeSpin Media and Lady Pasifika Magazine; media creators Dean Hamer, Joe Wilson and Nolan Hong; and social media curator Pumehana Cabral, among others.
The theme of the conference is “Entrepreneurial Paths in Creative Media,” highlighting people who have carved out their own careers in creative media in Hawaiʻi. The event aims to bring current and prospective students, community and local creative media professionals together to connect them with opportunities to network and gain career-oriented training.
Windward CC will also debut its upcoming academic subject certificate in creative media this fall 2019.
- 8 a.m.—In-person registration opens at the Hale ʻĀkoakoa atrium
- 9 a.m.—Welcome and opening remarks
- 9:15 a.m.—Panel discussion
- 10:30 a.m.—Breakout sessions:
- Soaring to new heights: Using drones in creative ways
- Go viral: Harnessing the power of social media
- Self-starters: How to run your own creative media business
- Stream this: Podcasting and live streaming
- 11:30 a.m.—Lunch
- 12:30 p.m.—Showcase, scholarship presentation and closing remarks