The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy (DKICP) celebrated its March Match Day when graduating or recently graduated students applying for post-graduate programs received first-round results from medical and educational institutions across the country. A dozen DKICP students were selected and accepted invitations from participating programs.
“Residency match is a highly competitive process and occurs in two rounds, the first in late March, and a second in April,” explained DKICP Dean Carolyn Ma. “This year, 12 of the 24 DKICP students applying for residencies were matched in the first round. These impressive results demonstrate the high-quality of academics, service and scholarship these students achieved over their four years here.”
According to DKICP, two students accepted fellowships at highly-competitive postgraduate programs, making this year’s March Match results even more exceptional.
Karmen Wong was accepted into the world-renowned Rutgers Pharmaceutical Industry Fellowship Program, which partners with leading pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies. She was one of 159 PharmD Fellows selected from 950 applications and will take part in training to develop leadership in various areas of drug development, including clinical trial planning and execution, pharmacovigilance and safety, medical strategy and regulatory affairs.
Qixin (Sandy) Li, has been accepted into the Bayer and University of Washington Health Economics and Outcomes Research Fellow Program. The two-year program provides training and hands-on experience in a broad range of topics, and is structured to allow the fellow to gain proficiency in academic and pharmaceutical industry settings.
DKICP students offered postgraduate year-one residency:
- Nichole Chaffin, Providence St. Peter Hospital, Olympia, Wash.
- Brooke Higa, VA Sierra Nevada Healthcare System, Reno, Nev.
- Raha Hosseini, Western Arizona Regional Medical Center, Bullhead City, Ariz.
- Feng Ming Huang, Western Arizona Regional Medical Center, Bullhead City, Ariz.
- Noelle Lovesy, Sharp Memorial Hospital, San Diego, Calif.
- Christian Macaspac, VA Maryland Health Care, Baltimore, Md.
- Shahrzad Mohammadi, VA Sierra Nevada Healthcare System, Reno, Nev.
- Kimo Okamoto, UH Hilo, Hilo, HI
- Henry Quach, San Francisco VA Health Care System, San Francisco, Calif.
- Tiana E. Ramos, CHI St. Alexius Health Mandan Pharmacy, Mandan, N.D.
- Donald Waddell, Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, Wash.
DKICP students offered postgraduate year-two residency:
- Taylor Hori, Kansas City VA Medical Center, Kansas City, Mo.