This message was shared with University of Hawaiʻi students on Oʻahu campuses on April 13, 2021.
Along with wearing facial coverings and practicing safe physical distancing, getting vaccinated is one of the best ways to end the COVID-19 pandemic. Thousands of UH employees, including student employees, have been vaccinated against the virus.
Now it’s your turn. Beginning April 19, COVID-19 vaccines will be available to everyone on Oʻahu 16 years or older. Get more information on registration to find a vaccine site near you.
Demand for vaccination will be high so please be patient. Here are some helpful tips:
- Be persistent. Sites update their appointment availability regularly. If a site does NOT have appointments, check back daily
- Search for sites that make the most sense for you and your schedule. You may want to avoid the final exam period, as some don’t feel well for 1–2 days after vaccination, especially after a 2nd dose.
- Be aware of the protocols for each of the three approved vaccines
– Pfizer: two doses with a minimum 21-day interval between shots
– Moderna: two doses with a minimum 28-day interval between shots
– Johnson & Johnson: one dose (Editor’s note: The Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine distribution was paused on April 13 by the federal government to check possible health side effects)
We encourage everyone to be vaccinated to protect yourself, your family and our entire community. If you have concerns, here are some useful resources to learn more about the COVID-19 vaccines:
- Hawaiʻi Department of Health Vaccine FAQs
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevent Vaccine FAQs
- World Health Organization Vaccine FAQs
Remember that even with the vaccine, COVID-19 cases are surging in parts of the country (and increasing here in Hawaiʻi). After you are vaccinated, please continue to protect yourself and others:
- Stay home if you’re ill
- Wear a face covering
- Practice safe physical distancing
- Avoid hugs and handshakes for those outside your ʻohana bubble
- Avoid large gatherings whenever possible
- Check your health daily with the LumiSight UH app
- Download the AlohaSafe app to your mobile phone
We can all do our part to keep our community safe and provide the fastest path to reopening our campuses and the state.
Get Vaccinated UH!
UH Vaccination Team