Alumni, researchers and professors with deep ties to University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa will share their diverse stories live and online. The Statewide Cultural Extension Program (SCEP), a program of UH Mānoa Outreach College, is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. In commemoration, a new project: SCEP Live Online Story Share, will be streamed online on Friday, April 23, at 7 p.m.
Since 1971, the program has brought culture and arts programs to communities throughout Hawaiʻi. A call for stories about UH Mānoa was put out to the UH community in March, and the following individuals will share their stories live from the UH Mānoa Orvis Auditorium on the SCEP Live Online YouTube channel:
- Dave Del Rocco, UH Mānoa graduate in Hawaiian languages, former Hawaiʻi State Public Library System (HSPLS) librarian, and currently a Hawaiian culture and social studies teacher at Punahou School
- Michael Jones, retired associate researcher and professor, UH Mānoa Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Emma McGuire, UH Mānoa alumna, former UH Mānoa Hawaiian language teacher; currently, Hawaiian language faculty at Punahou School
- Neal Milner, retired political sciences professor and former UH Mānoa ombudsman
- Sri Tencate, UH alumna and retired HSPLS librarian and branch manager, Molokaʻi Public Library
Register at Outreach College for the direct link to the performance.
Storyteller and former Windward Community College theatre professor Ben Moffat will serve as the evening’s master of ceremonies. The Story Share Band adds a musical component to the evening with musicians Bailey Matsuda, Alex Morrison and Chris Yeh.
Seeking community stories
SCEP Live Online Story Share is also seeking stories from individuals in the community. Story proposals from the community based on a memory of life in Hawaiʻi should be submitted by April 30, 2021. All stories must be true and based on your own memory and the story should be told in a maximum of 10 minutes.
Interested community members should email email@example.com with the following information:
- Full name
- Contact info: phone, email or text
- A 2–3 sentence synopsis of your story
SCEP Live Online is a joint effort between UH Mānoa Outreach College, East-West Center Arts Program, UH Mānoa Music Department, Kaunoa Senior Services and Friends of Mānoa Library.