Four finalists have been identified for the position of director of the University of Hawaiʻi Cancer Center at UH Mānoa. The finalists are each scheduled for in-person visits over a two-day period that includes meetings with senior administrators, faculty, staff, students, internal and external constituents, and a public presentation.
Campus and community members, as well as the general public, are encouraged to attend the public presentations. All attendees are required to follow on-campus UH COVID-19 safety protocols of wearing a well-fitted mask while indoors and showing proof of health clearance via the LumiSight UH health check app*.
The campus visits of the four candidates have been scheduled as follows:
- Said Sebti, visiting February 14–15, 2022
- Associate Director for Basic Research, Massey Cancer Center
- NCI Outstanding Investigator
- Lacy Family Endowed Chair in Cancer Research
- Professor, Department of Pharmacology & Toxicology
- Virginia Commonwealth University
Public Presentation: Monday, February 14, 11 a.m.–12 p.m., Sullivan Conference Center, UH Cancer Center
- Naoto Ueno, visiting March 1–2, 2022
- Professor, Department of Breast Medical Oncology
- Nylene Eckles Distinguished Professor in Breast Cancer Research
- Section Chief, Translational Breast Cancer Research
- Executive Director, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Morgan Welch Inflammatory Breast Cancer Research Program and Clinic
Public Presentation: Tuesday, March 1, 11 a.m.–12 p.m., Sullivan Conference Center, UH Cancer Center
- Robert Haile, visiting March 7–8, 2022
- Research Scientist IV and Professor, Department of Medicine, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Associate Director for Population Sciences
- Director, Cancer Research Cancer for Health Equity
- Endowed Chair in Population Health Sciences
- Cedars-Sinai Cancer Center
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Public Presentation: Monday, March 7, 11 a.m.–12 p.m., Sullivan Conference Center, UH Cancer Center
- Joe Ramos, visiting March 15–16, 2022
- Interim Director, UH Cancer Center
- Professor, Cancer Biology
- B.H. and Alice C. Beams Endowed Professor in Cancer Research
- John A. Burns School of Medicine
Public Presentation: Tuesday, March 15, 11 a.m.–12 p.m., Sullivan Conference Center, UH Cancer Center
“I would like to thank the search advisory committee for identifying a pool of highly qualified, exceptional candidates. The committee did a terrific job in identifying these finalists, and we look forward to welcoming them to our campus,” said UH Mānoa Provost Michael Bruno. “We encourage UH faculty, staff, students and the public to come out and meet the candidates and provide feedback as we continue the process of selecting the best person for a position that is critical for both the university and Hawaiʻi.”
Following the visits and review of the feedback from the search advisory committee and others, Provost Bruno will be making a recommendation on this appointment to UH President David Lassner.
For more information about the search process, including a list of the members of the search advisory committee, the daily schedules and the candidate biographies, see the search website. Members of the community can provide feedback on the search through the link on this page.
*LumiSight UH will be checked at the door before entrance is allowed. Please upload your proof of at least full vaccination or a negative test at least 48 hours prior to the event so that we have time to verify the documents. For additional information, please refer to the Mandatory Daily Screening and Self-Monitoring section on the UH Institutional Safety Practices page.