Searches for chancellors for Honolulu Community College and Kapiʻolani Community College have commenced, with an eye toward having the new campus leaders in place by January 2023.
University of Hawaiʻi Vice President for Community Colleges Erika Lacro said, “I look forward to working with both campuses to select chancellors who will guide Honolulu CC and Kapiʻolani CC to continue fulfilling and strengthening their respective missions and visions in the years to come.”
In April it was announced that Lacro had appointed members of the Honolulu CC Chancellor Search Advisory Committee (CSAC). Assistant Professor Coty Gonzales was named search coordinator.
According to that announcement:
- The CSAC includes representation from Honolulu CC’s constituency groups, organizational units and community leaders.
- The CSAC plans to begin screening applicants and nominees in August 2022.
- On-campus visits by finalists are planned for October 2022 as a venue for students, faculty, staff and other stakeholders to attend open forums.
- Lacro plans to submit her recommended candidate for appointment to UH President David Lassner in November 2022.
- The expected start date of the new chancellor is January 2023.
A letter from Lacro was emailed to Kapiʻolani CC faculty, staff, administrators and students in May announcing the search for a new chancellor. Lacro also appointed Associate Professor Kristie Malterre to assist as the search coordinator.
According to the letter:
- Malterre will work with the Chancellor Search Advisory Committee (CSAC) whose members represent campus and community constituencies and meet gender and ethnicity balance requirements.
- Lacro and Malterre will work with the CSAC to ensure chancellor search components, including, but not limited to, defining qualities of an effective leader, advertising broadly, screening applicants and narrowing the field.
- Finalists will be invited to the campus for in-person interviews and campus forums in fall 2022.
- The CSAC will eventually recommend a finalist to Lacro.
- Lacro will make the selection subject to the approval of Lassner.
- The new chancellor should begin no later than January 2, 2023.
The Board of Regents has delegated the authority to approve campus chancellors to the president.
Lacro added, “This is an exciting time for these two campuses and I am eagerly anticipating the contributions of these new members of the UH Community Colleges’ leadership team.”