Editor’s note: Nancy Ooki was added to the search advisory committee on March 22.
The University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa Office of the Provost has formally initiated the search for the College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (CTAHR) Dean and Director of Research and Cooperative Extension. In doing so, a Search Advisory Committee under Provost Michael Bruno has been established to begin the search process.
As the founding college of UH in 1907, CTAHR is central to the land-grant mission of UH Mānoa. CTAHR provides relevant research, outreach/extension and educational programs that support and foster tropical and subtropical agricultural systems and contribute to developing resilient families and businesses in viable communities and a diversified economy, while ensuring a sustainable environment.
Alison Sherwood, associate dean of the College of Natural Sciences, will chair the search advisory committee, whose members are as follows:
- Kamakana Aquino, educational specialist, College of Social Sciences
- Arby Barone, graduate student
- Carl Dionne, IT specialist, CTAHR
- Daniela Elliott, assistant professor, Agriculture, Mathematics and Science, Leeward Community College
- Soojin Jun, professor and chair, Department of Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences, CTAHR
- Lisa Kam, secretary, Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Management, CTAHR
- Thao Le, professor and chair, Department of Family and Consumer Sciences, CTAHR
- Bruce Mathews, dean, College of Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resources Management, UH Hilo
- Albie Miles, assistant professor, Social Sciences/Sustainable Community Food Systems, UH West Oʻahu
- Tomoaki Miura, professor and chair, Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Management, CTAHR
- Michael Muszynski, associate professor, Department of Plant and Soil Sciences, CTAHR
- Pratibha Nerurkar, professor and graduate chair, Department of Molecular Biosciences and Bioengineering, CTAHR
- Nancy Ooki, assistant extension agent, Maui County, CTAHR
- Rudy Ramirez, undergraduate, Associated Students of the University of Hawaiʻi president
- Brent Sipes, plant pathologist, Department of Plan and Environmental Protection Sciences, CTAHR
- Shan Tsutsui, chief operating officer, Mahi Pono
- Letitia Uyehara, formerly with Armstrong Produce
- Bruce Watson, graduate assistant, Hawaiʻinuiākea School of Hawaiian Knowledge
- Debra Ann Ishii, CTAHR dean search coordinator, Mānoa Office of Business and Finance (ex- officio)
- Christie Nitta, human resources manager, CTAHR (ex-officio)
The committee will recommend finalists to Bruno, who will then recommend a selectee to UH President David Lassner.
The search process will convene over the spring semester (formal job announcement forthcoming) with finalists invited to campus in the fall 2023 semester and anticipated start date for the new dean in spring/summer 2024.