skip to Main Content

Register Now for Kindergarten if Your Child Was Born in 2000

UH Manoa Center on the Family promotes benefits of early registration for kindergarten

University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
Posted: Feb 1, 2005

HONOLULU — February marks the beginning of registration for kindergarten at Hawaiʻi‘s public schools for children born in 2000. Registering early is simple and extremely important according to the Learning to Grow Project at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa‘s Center on the Family.

"Unfortunately, many parents wait until late summer or even the first day of school to register their keiki for kindergarten," says Grace Fong, Learning to Grow principal investigator. "Registering early is helpful for children and their families because they will be able to participate in kindergarten transition programs and stay informed about school-related requirements and activities."

Spring or summer transition programs are provided by most public schools for children who will be entering kindergarten. These programs provide an opportunity for children to get acquainted with their new school and to interact with others who may be in their class.

Early registration also helps the schools to be more effectively prepared for the students. The problem of overcrowded classrooms can be alleviated when schools are able to anticipate an accurate count of incoming students, and hire a sufficient number of qualified kindergarten teachers.

Parents with children born in 2000 should call or visit the elementary schools in their area. Office staff can help parents determine if their street address falls in the school‘s district.

Once parents know which school their child should attend, they will need to take the following documents to the school to register their child:

· Health records (Form 14) — children must have a physical examination, written documentation of required immunizations, and tuberculosis clearance to enter school on the first day.

· Birth certificate — an original or certified copy is required to verify the child‘s age.

· Legal documents — if there were changes to the child‘s name, custody arrangement, or guardianship, the legal documents that verify the changes are needed.

· Proof of current local address — a document such as an electric, telephone, or cable bill, or a housing or rental agreement that shows the address of the child‘s home.

For more information about registering children early for kindergarten, call the nearest elementary school, or check the Department of Education website at

For more information, visit: