MEDIA ADVISORY: UH Mānoa Hawaiʻinuiākea tribute performance marks pivotal moment in Hawaiian historyUniversity of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
Hawaiʻinuiākea School of Hawaiian Knowledge
Daniel Meisenzahl, (808) 348-4936
UH Spokesman, UH Communications
WHAT: A performance tribute by the UH Mānoa Hawaiʻinuiākea School of Hawaiian Knowledge titled Ka Hulina Au: The Changing Time
WHEN: Sunday, November 10, 6 to 8:30 p.m. Doors open at 5 p.m. Event will promptly start at 6 p.m.
WHERE: Andrews Amphitheater on the UH Mānoa campus
WHO: The tribute and fundraiser for Native Hawaiian student scholarships will feature mele (music) and hula by many of Hawaiʻi’s most well-known kumu hula and their hālau including Vicky and Jeff Takamine, Māpuana de Silva, Manu Boyd, Leilani Basham, Tracie and Keawe Lopes and Snowbird Bento. Oratory will be performed by Laʻakapu Lenchanko, Haʻalilio Solomon and Frank Damas. There will also be musical performances and poetry by Pacific Tongues, Kealiʻi Reichel, the Osorio ʻOhana and Kīhei Nahale-a. Actors from the UH Mānoa original play ʻAuʻa ʻIa: Holding On, written and directed by Tammy Hailiʻōpua Baker, will perform a portion of the play.
- There will be an estimated more than 120 musicians, hula dancers, poets and actors involved in the production
- Commemorates the 200th anniversary of one of the last great battles among the chiefs at Lekeleke on Hawaiʻi Island shortly after the heirs of Kamehameha the Great ended ʻaikapu, the social and religious practice that was more than a thousand years old at the time.
- Organizers say Hawaiʻi is going through a similar kind of transformation right now and emphasize that we have gone through those periods before and survived.
- General admission is $29 and student admission is $15. To purchase tickets, go to the Hawaiʻinuiākea website or Facebook, email email@example.com or call (808) 956-0980.
- Food trucks will be available when the doors open at 5 pm including Just Ice, Sistah Truck, Holoholo Grill, Da Spot, Hot Tacos and Rocket Coffee.
- The event is alcohol, tobacco and drug free, and no outside food, drinks or coolers will be allowed.