Create, explore and discover at Leeward CC Discovery Fair
Interactive fun for the etire familyLeeward Community College
Dir of Mktg, Chancellor's Ofc
Create. Explore. Discover. The entire family can do all three and more at Discovery Fair, on Saturday, November 3, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Leeward Community College on the Pearl City campus. Admission and parking are free.
Highlights of the fair are the more than 50 bustling hands-on learning activities for the entire family. Once again, all educational activities are offered free of charge!
This year, in tribute to the college’s 50th Anniversary, the first 500 families to check in at the Information Table will win a prize, from gift cards to school supplies! More than fifty $50 gift cards will be given away!
To cap off the tribute to “50,” several food vendors offer 50 cent food options.
Now in its 28th year, Discovery Fair introduces new activities each year, in addition to crowd favorites. Newcomers include a giant-sized version of the children’s game, “Operation,” created by our Industrial Technology program. You can test your skills at removing body parts without sounding an alarm! The Hawaiian Studies faculty guide you through an exploration of a 10 foot Hawaiian Star Compass; and the Mechatronics program offers games using hydraulic and pneumatic devices!
“This is our 28th year presenting our annual Fair. Making education fun and engaging is at the heart of what we do. With all the activities offered for free, the Fair is really our ‘thank you’ to the community” said Jenny Watada, one of the faculty co-chairs of Leeward Discovery Fair .
- Quicksand Goo: a mysterious substance that’s both solid and liquid
- Slime Time: the magic of polymers
- Play with Clay: Hands-on clay sculpting, including the opportunity to take a spin with a pottery wheel
- Rockets: create and launch your personalized rocket
- Lightning Bolt Challenge: a speedy competition diving into the nuts and bolts of engines
- Tours of the Fossil & Mineral and Natural History exhibits
Additional fair offerings
- Mad Hatter: create a fashionable hat from recycled materials
- Fun with Fish: Learn the ancient art of Gyotaku, the traditional Japanese method of creating an artistic print of a fish.
- Chemistry Magic: Freeze a flower or shrink a balloon with liquid nitrogen
- Bubble Geometry: Take a stand inside a giant bubble…or create some awesome bubbles in a variety of shapes and sizes.
- Our Story: Take a selfie with our early human ancestor, the famous "Lucy"
- Kreating with Kukui: learn how to make a nut spinner toy, a knotted lei and create artwork from
- Rainbow Water: Create a stackable rainbow of color with water and learn about the density of fluids.
Fair entry, parking and all educational activities are free. Food vendors offer a variety of items for purchase.
Photos available for download: https://www.flickr.com/photos/leewardcc/albums/72157665945248149
For more information, visit: http://www.leeward.hawaii.edu/Fair