COVID-19 RAPS Related Disruptions

Official COVID -19 Related Disruption Memo 

Executive Policy EP 5.211, Grading During COVID-19 Public Health Crisis

Will SAT scores be required for freshman Regent scholar applicants for Academic Year 2021-2022?
For the 2021-2022 applicant year,  in lieu of SAT scores, eligibility for the Regents Scholarship will be considered as follows: 3.8 GPA for UH Mānoa; 3.5-3.7 GPA for UH Hilo and UH West Oʻahu, with preference for those with the higher GPA.

Will housing be required for freshman Regent scholars for Academic Year 2020-2021?
Due to the status of the COVID-19, the decision has been made to waive the housing requirement for incoming freshman Regent Scholars for Academic Year 2020-2021.

Will Travel grants be allowed in Fall 2020?
No mainland or international travel grants will be approved for travel in Fall 2020 semester due to COVID-19 travel restrictions. We will continue to monitor the ever changing guidelines as stated on the UH COVID-19 website.  

If the Fall semester will be virtual, will new RAPS Scholars be able to cancel housing requests?
Yes, you can cancel your housing for the Fall Semester. Though, communicate with the Housing Office to secure housing for the Spring 2021 semester. If any fees are incurred, please contact your Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs to ensure that all charges are removed. If the University is back to in-person classes in spring, all Regent scholars will be required to live in on-campus housing. Please email your campus to ask any questions about your specific situation.

Are Mānoa Freshman Regent Scholars living in dorms still eligible for their scholarships if they decide to move out of the dorms during this time?
During this time of uncertainty with COVID-19, we understand that students may choose to leave the dorms to practice safe social distancing. Under these circumstances, this decision will not impact the Regents Scholars’ future scholarship eligibility. Please notify your RAPS advisor if you choose to do so.

If RAPS students were enrolled in study-abroad during spring 2020, can they still maintain their eligibility for an additional semester?
We understand that decisions made to combat COVID-19 have disrupted many academic plans. RAPS students who were planning to be enrolled in a study abroad program in Spring 2020 and their study plans disrupted, will be afforded one additional semester to complete their academic program; as it is too late to be enrolled at UH for Spring 2020. The additional semester can include summer. Please communicate with us and your RAPS advisors regarding any changes.

If I am a graduating senior who was planning to travel in Spring 2020 or for study abroad in Summer 2020, can I still get my travel grant?
To receive this scholarship, you must be a student. Unfortunately, travel grants cannot be awarded to students who have graduated.

Can RAPS students opt for CR/NC for Spring 2020?
Yes this is an available option. If the student takes the CR/NC option for their course(s), their GPA will not be counted for this semester. However if the student is already on probation due to not meeting GPA requirements, they would then remain on probation for another semester and have the subsequent semester to meet GPA requirements.  The student must complete within the 8 consecutive semesters term for Regents Scholarships and 4 consecutive semesters term for Presidential Scholarships.

RAPS Frequently Asked Questions


My specific program says that I can be enrolled in less than 12 credits and be considered full-time. Is that true?
While some schools or colleges may allow you to enroll in less than 12 credits to be considered full-time for their curriculum, RAPS follows the federal definition of full-time status, which is 12 credits per semester. If you enroll in less than 12 for the semester, you have not met the RAPS criteria.

How many credits do I need to be eligible for RAPS?
You are required to be a full-time student, which the University of Hawai‘i defines as taking a minimum of 12 credits each semester (Fall and Spring).

How do I apply to be apart of the UH Mānoa Honors program? 
All RAPS scholars must submit an application via the Honors Program’s website by the deadline of May 1st.


What GPA do I need to be in good academic standing as a Regents Scholar?
Starting Academic Year 2020-2021, a Regents Scholar must have at least a 3.2 GPA all four years.

What GPA do I need to be in good academic standing as a Presidential Scholar?
As a Presidential Scholar, you must maintain a GPA of at least 3.5 after being awarded.

How is GPA determined for RAPS Scholars?
When we assess your GPA, we look at both your current semester and your cumulative GPA. We will take whichever is higher in determining your eligibility.

When is GPA examined for eligibility purposes?
We assess your GPA at the end of Fall and Spring semesters only. This assessment is conducted in the week following finals. We do not use Summer grades in our determination of your ongoing eligibility; remember, however, that any grades you earn in summer courses will apply towards your cumulative GPA.

How do Incomplete (I) grades get calculated into my GPA?
In short, Incomplete (I) grades do not get calculated into your GPA. Your eligibility is determined on grades available at the time of formal. If you have an Incomplete (I) grade and you are concerned about how it might affect your status, please see the RAPS adviser.

Academic Actions (Probation and Disenrollment)

What happens if I don’t make the GPA required?
We will place you on probation; once on RAPS probation, you will have one regular semester to bring your semester or cumulative GPA to the minimum required to maintain eligibility.

What if I don’t meet the criteria for probation?
If you are unable to raise your semester or cumulative GPA to the minimum required after a semester of probation, you will be dis enrolled from the RAPS Scholarship.

What if I successfully get off probation, but don’t have a great semester, and end up on probation again?
The same criteria apply. However, you are limited to two semesters total of probation. It is expected, therefore, if you are on your second probation in the RAPS program, that you will maintain eligibility from that point onward. If you are not able to do so, you will be dis enrolled from the RAPS program.

If I am dis enrolled from the program, but get my grades back up, can I reapply?
No. Once you have been dis enrolled from RAPS, you cannot be readmitted

How will I be notified of my academic status?
If we need to take an academic action (i.e. probation, removal from probation, or dis enrollment), you will receive a hard copy letter from us informing you of your status. Please ensure that you have your most current address listed on MyUH so that you receive relevant communications. You are also encouraged to meet with the RAPS adviser if you have concerns about your continuing eligibility.

Academic Advising

How do I get advising for RAPS?
Contact your appropriate adviser for your campus. Their contact information is on our homepage.

When do I have to see the RAPS adviser?
You are expected to come in for RAPS advising at least once a semester so be sure to plan and schedule your appointment well in advance. Please remember that pre-registration advising (i.e. from the time the Schedule of Classes is released through the registration period) is a very high demand advising time, and you may not be able to secure an appointment easily.

What happens in a RAPS advising appointment?
That depends! The intention is to keep in regular contact with academic oversight each semester, and typically involves reviewing how the semester is going, discussing student development and success strategies, and discussing  academic and post-graduate plans. Some appointments may be more detailed, and involve review of progress towards graduation. Whenever you see the RAPS adviser, bring with you any questions or concerns you might have. This may also be a chance for you to learn about any program updates.

Is the RAPS adviser the only adviser that I need to see?
All students are strongly advised to regularly meet with student academic services/major adviser for the chosen degree plan/pathway. University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa students can find this information on the UHM Program Sheets.

Travel Grants

How much can I use for travel?
All RAPS Scholars are eligible to receive a travel grant for up to $2000.

When can I use my travel grant?
You may use your grant at any time during the terms of your scholarship. You may not use travel grants following the expiration of your scholarship. Proposals need to be submitted no later than 30 days prior to event. If you are requesting a travel advance, proposals need to be submitted no later than 60 days prior to departure to ensure funds are received prior to travel. All travel requests must be submitted and approved by your RAPS adviser.

What kind of travel can I do under this grant?
The RAPS travel grant provides you with an opportunity to enhance your academic program beyond the traditional classroom environment. We expect that you will find a travel opportunity that directly relates to your academic program and goals. Some ideas include:

  1. Earning credits through a UH-sponsored program, such as International Student Exchange, National Student Exchange or Study Abroad
  2. Professional and academic conferences
  3. Conducting academic research

I’ve never been out of the state, and definitely not out of the country! Can I use my travel grant for cultural enrichment?
The grant must be used in direct relation to your academic program and goals. Cultural enrichment, though encouraged, is not a strong enough case for the awarding of the travel grant, please consult with your RAPS adviser. You are responsible for ensuring you a properly prepared for international travel (ie: passport approvals).

How do I get my travel grant money?

    1. You must fill out a RAPS Travel Grant Proposals and submit it 30 days before the intended day of travel to your RAPS Academic Adviser. All proposals are subject to approval. Travel without approval will not be eligible for reimbursement from this grant. Your Travel Grant Proposal must detail your intentions and itemize your budget. The Travel Grant Proposal and budget must be submitted at least 30 days before your intended travel. If there are questions about the validity of your proposal, you may be called in for additional details. If you are requesting a travel advance, proposals need to be submitted no later than 60 days prior to departure to ensure funds are received prior to travel.
    2. RAPS Travel Grant Completions must be submitted within 30 days of return from travel to your RAPS Academic Adviser. Following your travel, you must submit the Travel Grant Completion Form, your updated proposal budget to show your actual itemized expenses with all of your original receipts to your adviser. Once we have received this paperwork, we will process your refund for up to $2000. Expenses beyond that must be assumed by you. Grant money will not be disbursed to you until your Travel Completion has been submitted. Travel without approval may not be eligible for reimbursement from this grant.

What if I can’t afford to wait for a reimbursement?

Arrangements can be made on a case-by-case basis to provide you with a travel advance. You must meet with the RAPS adviser to arrange this. A couple important notes:

  1. Travel Grant Proposals must be submitted no later than 60 days prior to intended travel to ensure a travel advance can be processed and funds disbursed.
  2. Travel Completion and receipts must be turned in no later than 30 days from date of return or a Financial Obligation hold will be placed on your account. You are able to gain access to your official college transcripts and UHM diploma only when all Financial Obligations have been cleared.

If I am a senior and want to study abroad in the summer after I graduate can I use my travel grant then?
In order to do so, you must have officially registered for a program and provide proof of so with a completed RAPS travel grant advance request prior to the deadline of April 1st. The program must be approved by your RAPS advisor before it can reviewed for processing. If you do so, you should still be eligible to use the grant for a study abroad program post graduation.

If I am a senior and I want to use my grant to travel in the summer after I graduate to visit graduate schools can I do so?
No. The only approved use of travel grants in the summer after graduation is an official UH study abroad program on a case by case basis. 

Program Contact Information

Regents and Presidential Scholars
System Office of Student Affairs
2444 Dole Street
Bachman Annex 9-6
Honolulu, HI 96822

  (808) 956-8753

Last modified: October 14, 2020