The Professional Student Exchange Program (PSEP) provides discounted out-of-state (or private) tuition support for students pursuing certain professional health care or veterinary degrees at WICHE participating universities. The State of Hawaiʻi offers financial support for the selected professional programs: Dentistry, Occupational Therapy, Optometry, Physical Therapy and Veterinary Medicine.

How does funding work?

1. First, you must submit the application to the Hawaiʻi Certifying Office for residency certification by no later than October 15th of the year prior to academic enrollment. If it is determined that you are a bona fide Hawaiʻi resident, you will be “certified” and eligible to be considered for WICHE support.

2. You must apply directly to the WICHE participating professional school(s) for one of the supported programs: Dentistry, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Optometry and Veterinary Medicine.

3. If you are already in one of the above programs at a WICHE participating school. You can still apply for support.

4. Once you are offered admission and have made your selection of which WICHE approved professional school and program to attend, your application will be ranked amongst other applicants.

5. WICHE administration conducts rankings as necessary to determine which certified students will be offered WICHE support and then forwards the names and rankings to the Hawaiʻi Certifying Office. For more information on this process click here (

6. Depending on the amount of funding, the Hawaiʻi Certifying Office will inform WICHE administration of how many students per program will be supported that academic year.

7. The Hawaiʻi Certifying Office then notifies applicants if they have been selected for PSEP support, and the amount of support you will receive for the coming academic year.

8. The awardee’s school will be notified by WICHE Administration of funding support directly.

If selected for funding

You must remain enrolled as a full-time student in good standing and notify the Hawaiʻi Certifying Office of any changes (residency, leave of absence for family or medical reasons, academic performance problems, or withdrawal from the program);

Maintain your bona fide Hawaiʻi residency status;

You must notify the Hawaiʻi Certifying office of any changes to your contact information ( address, phone, email)

Upon completion of your professional program, you must report on your progress of returning to Hawaiʻi to fulfill your return of service obligation.

Apply for Funding

Applications are available beginning August 1 of the year prior to enrollment and must be received no later than October 15th of the year prior to enrollment. You are encouraged to apply as early as possible. In the event of a ranking tie, postmarked date may be used to determine the funding recipient. Applicants for Veterinary Medicine PSEP support are strongly encouraged to submit their PSEP application no later than September 15th.

1. Read all of the WICHE PSEP program information ( Link to

2. Download and complete the Hawaiʻi WICHE PSEP Application – Sign via E-signature or wet signature
NOTE* If the yes/no boxes on the form are blackened out, you have probably opened the form in your browser. Please download the form to fill in. Right Click to download or save application form and open and fill with Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Reader (free) Get Adobe Acrobat Reader

3. Fill out the Consent and Waiver Form (available with the application form). If a veterinary applicant, fill out the included Statement of Intent form.

4. Submit your completed forms via UH secure File drop:

If you have a UH login, please do so, if not create one using your preferred email.

Type in the recipient field: WICHE@HAWAII.EDU
Expiration timer field select: 14 days.
Please do not mail in paper forms.

Hawaiʻi State Certifying Office

2444 Dole Street
Bachman Annex 9-6
Honolulu, HI 96822

  (808) 956-8753

Last modified: August 15, 2019