Faculty play a central role at each System campus through their work as teachers, scholars, and leaders. At the system level, we seek to support faculty development by working with campuses on issues of curricular innovation, design, and to serve as a clearinghouse for innovative work being done across campus.
Regents’ Medal for Excellence in Teaching
The Regents’ Medal for Excellence in Teaching is awarded by the Board of Regents as tribute to faculty members who exhibit an extraordinary level of subject mastery and scholarship, teaching effectiveness and creativity and personal values that benefit students. To view prior awardees, click here.
Frances Davis Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
The Frances Davis Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching recognizes dedication and demonstrated excellence as teachers of undergraduate students. It was established as a memorial to the late Frances Davis, who taught mathematics at Leeward Community College and UH Manoa for 19 years. To view prior awardees, click here.
Summer Faculty Book Club
Faculty across the system are reading one of the following books (available via your UH library). Please contact Debora Halbert (email@example.com) if you would like to participate in future book clubs or have recommendations to be added to the book club.
- Korbey, Holly. Building Better Citizens: A New Civics Education for All. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2019.
- Alexander, Bryan. Academia Next: The Futures of Higher Education. Johns Hopkins University Press, 2020.
- Brown, Peter C., Henry L. Roediger III, and Mark A. McDaniel. Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning. 1 edition. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Belknap Press: An Imprint of Harvard University Press, 2014.
- Fink, Dee. Creating Significant Learning Experiences: An Integrated Approach to Designing College Courses, 2013.
- Mellow, Gail, Diana Woolis, Marisa Klages-Bombich, and Susan Restler. Taking College Teaching Seriously — Pedagogy Matters!: Fostering Student Success Through Faculty-Centered Practice Improvement. Stylus Publishing, 2015.
- Smith, Daryl G. Diversity’s Promise for Higher Education: Making It Work. Second edition. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2015.
- Tatum, Beverly Daniel. Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria: And Other Conversations About Race. 2nd ed. Basic Books, 2017.
- Joint UH UHPA Statement on Workload Policies and Assignments 2/22/22
- Statement on Academic Freedom
- All Campus Council of Faculty Senate Chairs (ACCFSC)
- UH at Mānoa Center for Teaching Excellence
- UH Mānoa General Education Resource Page
- Scholar Space
- Open Educational resources
- Puʻuhuluhulu Memo to UH Faculty & Staff