The University of Hawaiʻi provides a wide range of resources to care for your physical, mental and emotional health. When you retire from the State of Hawaiʻi, you may be eligible for retiree’s health benefits.

The Hawaiʻi Employer-Union Health Benefits Trust Fund (EUTF) is a department under the State Department of Budget and Finance that is governed by a Board of Trustees to provide health benefits for State and county government employees.

The University’s contribution towards the cost of your health care plans is negotiated through the collective bargaining process; the employee’s cost is the remaining portion of the health care plan’s monthly premiums.

Employees have the option of paying their health care plan premiums on a pre-tax or post-tax basis through payroll deduction.

Understanding Your Benefits


  • To be eligible for EUTF health benefits, the employee must be employed in a position working 20 or more hours per week and for at least 3 months.
  • Eligible employees have a choice of health insurance plans – medical, prescription drug, chiropractic, dental and vision and group life insurance.

Enrollment & Changes

  • Employees have 45 days to enroll from the date of eligibility or must wait until the next open enrollment period.
  • There is no waiting period – employees, spouses, civil union partners or domestic partners and dependents of employees are covered from the first day of employment, contingent on enrollment.
  • To enroll, complete an EC-1 Enrollment Form for New Employees & Changes and submit it to your HR Representative for verification and routing to EUTF. The New Hire/Newly Eligible Employee guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to enroll in EUTF health benefits.

The Premium Conversion Plan (PCP) provides health care plan participants with an opportunity to save tax dollars and make the most of their paychecks. Employees who are enrolled in any health care plan offered through the EUTF that qualifies under the PCP rules may participate and increase their take home pay by paying their health premium contribution on a pre-tax basis.

The federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) expanded access to insurance, increased consumer protection, emphasized prevention and wellness, improved quality and system performance, expanded the health workforce, and curbed rising health care cost. Information about the ACA may be found in the Affordable Care Act Employee Notice.

ACA Reporting Requirements (HR Only)

The State pays 100% of the monthly premium for group life insurance coverage. The insurance is offered by the Hawaiʻi Employer-Union Health Benefits Trust Fund (EUTF). Additional benefits:

  • Convert to an individual whole life policy because of termination of employment or is reduced due to age or retirement without providing evidence of good health
  • May continue life insurance at a group discounted rate instead of an individual rate, provided the employee meets eligibility requirements.
  • Receive an early payment of a portion of the life insurance if the employee has a Qualified Medical Condition and meets certain requirements
  • Repatriation of employee’s remains back to a mortuary near the primary place of residence if employee passes away 200 miles or more away from home

For more information, contact the USAble Life at (808) 538-8920 or toll-free at 1(855) 207-2021 or visit the USAble Life website.

To enroll, check “USAble Life” on the EC-1 Enrollment Form for New Employees & Changes form when electing EUTF plan benefits. Use the Group Term Life Insurance Beneficiary Designation form to designate the beneficiaries of your life insurance.

The University recognizes that families may face crises and problems that affect work performance. The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides confidential, short-term, professional counseling services to employees who may be experiencing personal problems that are affecting job performance. Eligible employees may receive up to a maximum of 3 hours of free counseling. All regular, temporary and exempt employees, casual hires and 89-day hires are eligible for EAP services.

WorkLife Hawaiʻi has been contracted to provide EAP services through a voluntary program that permits employees to seek help on their own. A WorkLife Hawaiʻi counselor, who specializes in the assessment of personal problems, will meet with the employee to explore options and possible resolutions. Discussions with a WorkLife Hawaiʻi counselor are kept confidential and will not be released without prior written permission from the employee.

EAP deals with human problems: those that may affect personal well-being and the ability to perform on the job. They include:

  • Marital/family problems
  • Grief/loss
  • Domestic violence
  • Drug/alcohol misuse
  • Relationship problems
  • Anger problems
  • Job-related issues
  • Stress and emotional problems
  • Other emotional or behavioral problems

The State of Hawaiʻi Island Flex Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is an employee benefit plan that provides employees with a way to pay for their eligible health care expenses and dependent care expenses with tax-free money.

By directing “before tax” money from the employee’s paycheck into one or both of these accounts, employees may be reimbursed on certain out-of-pocket medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision expenses and dependent care expenses. To participate employees must be a member of the State of Hawaiʻi Employees’ Retirement System (ERS).

To enroll in plan year July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019 and for more information, please contact the plan administrator National Benefit Services (NBS) at (808) 465-2284 and neighbor Island employees may call toll-free at 1-855-399-3035 ext. 502. Applications and detailed information on the program are available at the NBS Island Flex website.


All part-time and temporary employees who are not eligible to participate in EUTF’s health care benefits may enroll in health coverage offered by HMSA and Kaiser at their own expense. Participation is voluntary. Information regarding the part-time and temporary health plan may be viewed:

To enroll in the HMSA Plan, contact HMSA for an enrollment application.

  • Mail your completed application and your first month’s premium to: HMSA, 8-AMS, P.O. Box 860, Honolulu, HI 96808
  • Please make checks payable to HMSA.

To enroll in the Kaiser Plan, visit Kaiser’s website.

  • Click on Plans and Services/Part-time and Temporary Employees.
  • Download the enrollment form, complete it and mail to Kaiser at: Kaiser Permanente Members Administration, P.O. Box 203006, Denver Colorado 80220-9006.
  • Mail the first month’s premium and a copy of the enrollment form at the same time to: Kaiser Permanente, P.O. Box 30820, Honolulu, HI 96820-0820.

The University of Hawaiʻi’s Temporary Disability Benefits (TDB) program is based on the State of Hawaiʻi’s TDB plan. Employees that suffer a non-work-related injury or illness may be eligible to receive partial wage replacement benefits. If eligible, there is a 7 consecutive calendar days wait period and all sick leave must be exhausted before TDB will be paid. The duration of the TDB is based on the State’s TDB plan. The maximum duration of TDB is 26 weeks.

  • Notify supervisor or HR Representative immediately of disability.
  • Complete Part A, Claimant’s Statement, of the HRD (TDI)-1 Claim for Temporary Disability Benefits Form. A TDB claim must be filed within 90 days after the start of the disability period.
  • Take the HRD (TDI)-1 form to a physician to certify the disability on Part B, Doctor’s Statement.
  • Have HR Rep complete Part C, Department’s Statement.
  • HR Representative will notify employee of entitlements to benefits.

For additional information, please visit the Office of Risk Management website.

The purpose of workers’ compensation (WC) is to provide an employee who suffers a work-related injury or illness with medical care and to replace a portion of the employee’s lost wages while the employee is unable to work. Employees may supplement the WC wage replacement benefits with available sick or sick/vacation leave to realize full-pay.