The University of Hawaiʻi offers an attractive holiday and leave package to eligible employees.

The University of Hawaiʻi observes 13 holidays per year and 14 holidays during an election year.

Download State Observed Holidays for 2019 & 2020

  • New Year’s Day
  • Dr. Martin Luther King Day
  • President’s Day
  • Prince Jonah Kūhiō Kalanianaʻole Day
  • Good Friday
  • Memorial Day
  • King Kamehameha I Day
  • Independence Day
  • Statehood Day
  • Labor Day
  • Election Day (during an election year)
  • Veteran’s Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day

Eligible full-time employees earn vacation leave at the rate of 1-3/4 working days or 14 hours per month each full-month of service, up to 21 working days or 168 hours each calendar year from the first year of employment. Eligible part-time employees earn vacation leave on a pro-rated basis.

Similar to vacation leave, eligible full-time employees earn 21 working days or 168 hours of sick leave per calendar year, which may be accumulated and carried over from one year to the next. Employees with 60 or more days (480+ hours) of unused sick leave may use the accumulated sick leave to increase their retirement benefits in certain situations.

Eligible employees are allowed up to 3 days of paid bereavement leave within a reasonable period of time after a death in the immediate family member. Please refer to your collective bargaining agreement for the definition of “immediate family member.”

Employees who voluntarily donate blood to the Hawaiʻi Blood Bank are eligible for up to 2 hours of paid leave, inclusive of travel time.

Employees who volunteer to be tested for possible bone marrow or organ donation matches are eligible for up to 2 hours of paid leave, inclusive of travel time.

Employees may receive up to 7 days of paid leave each calendar year to serve as a bone marrow donor, and up to 30 days of paid leave each calendar year to serve as a living organ donor.

Employees are eligible for up to 30 calendar days of paid leave to serve with the American Red Cross for disasters.

Each calendar year, employees who meet eligibility criteria are eligible for unpaid job-protected leave for qualifying serious health conditions for themselves or a family member. Certain paid leaves may be substituted for unpaid leave.

Under the state Hawaiʻi Family Leave Law (HFLL), employees may be eligible for up to 4 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave during the calendar year. Under the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), University employees may be eligible for up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave during a calendar year.

For more information on the HFLL, visit the State of Hawaiʻi, Department of Labor and Industrial Relations website. For more information on the FMLA, visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s website.

Visit the Family and Medical Leave Guide (UH Login Required) for more information on reasons to request family and medical leave, eligibility, qualification, and how to request family and medical leave.

Employees who are licensed foster parents with a foster children under the State of Hawaiʻi Department of Human Services’ placement responsibility may be granted up to 8 hours of paid time off per calendar year to attend Family Court hearings regarding their foster children.

Employees are granted paid leave to serve as a summoned witness or juror in any judicial proceeding, except those which may involve or arise out of an employee’s outside employment or personal business or private affairs.

Employees summoned to serve as a witness in a case which may involve or arise out of the employee’s outside employment, personal business or private affairs shall not be entitled to leave of absence with pay. Employee shall be entitled to use annual vacation leave or elect to take leave without pay.

The University’s leave sharing program allows employees to donate unused vacation leave to fellow University employees recovering from a serious illness or injury or caring for an immediate family member with a serious illness or injury. Leave donations may be made to the central leave bank or to a specific individual who meets leave sharing eligibility requirements.

Employees who are not eligible to earn vacation leave may donate unused sick leave credits. Employees may be eligible to give and receive donated leave credits within the University. The purpose of the program is to ease the financial burden of employees who have exhausted their paid leave and would otherwise need to take unpaid time off to:

  • Recover from a serious personal illness or injury or
  • To care for a family member who is incapable of self care due to a serious personal injury or illness.

Eligible employees interested in donating their leave credits or who wish to request leave sharing may work with their HR Representative.

Employees may be eligible for various leaves without pay. Specific requirements and additional information are outlined in the various bargaining unit agreements.

Employees called or ordered and who report to duty are eligible for up to 15 day of paid leave for active duty and annual training for reserves.

The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) of 1994 provides protection and rights of reinstatement to employees who participate in the National Guard and Reserve. The Act allows members to go on military duty either voluntarily or involuntarily for a period up to 5 years and be reinstated with no loss of seniority, status, or pay.

Additional information on USERRA is available from the US Department of Labor website.

Employees are eligible for up to 2 hours of paid leave, inclusive of travel time, to discuss a child’s progress and development. Employees are limited to 2 mutually-scheduled parent-teacher conferences per child each calendar year:

  • Parent-teacher conference for the employee’s child attending a public or private school in grades kindergarten through 12 or
  • Parent-caregiver conference for a preschool-aged child attending a licensed group child care center.

Additional Information is available on the State’s DHRD Parent Teacher Conference Leave page.

Employees have the opportunity for further professional growth and development to more effectively serve their campus and in their field of specialization. Qualification and processes vary among the different employee types, contact an HR Representative for more information about these types of leaves:

  • Civil Service employees may request educational leave without pay or sabbatical leave with pay.
  • APT personnel may request professional improvement leave with pay or without pay.
  • Faculty may request sabbatical leave with pay, professional improvement leave without pay, or study leave with pay.

Additional information is also outlined in the various bargaining unit agreements.