UH System Policies and Procedures
- Board of Regents Policies
- + 1. General Provisions
- + 2. Administration
- + 3. Organization
- + 4. Planning
- + 5. Academic Affairs
- + 6. Tuition, Financial Assistance, and Fees
- + 7. Student Affairs
- + 8. Business and Finance
- + 9. Personnel
- + 10. Land and Physical Facilities
- + 11. Miscellaneous
- + 12. Research
- Abolished Policies (Post Oct. 2014)
- Archived EP
- Administrative Procedures
UH‐Related Laws and Rules
- Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes (HRS) 304A
- Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules (HAR) Title 20
Executive Policy 5.220 Executive Policy 5.220
Executive Policy Chapter 5. Academic Affairs
Executive Policy EP 5.220, Faculty Exchange
Effective Date: October 2014
Dates Amended: May 2011
Responsible Office: Office of the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
Governing Board of Regents Policy: RP 2.202, Duties of the President
Review Date: August 2018
To provide guidelines in the administration of faculty exchanges.
No policy specific or unique definitions apply.
III. Executive Policy
It shall be the responsibility of the President to promulgate a policy in consultation with University executives setting forth the guidelines for faculty exchanges.
1. The Board supports exchanges of University of Hawai‘i faculty with other institutions as a means of furthering the academic and intellectual growth and vitality of our faculty and University.
a. The President shall be authorized to enter into agreements for faculty exchanges in accordance with the following resolution:
Whereas, individual faculty exchanges of University of Hawai‘i faculty with faculty of other institutions is a means of furthering the academic and intellectual growth and vitality of our faculty and University, and
Whereas, the State Government has joined the Board of Regents in finding merit in faculty exchanges by providing for such arrangements as early as 1941, and
Whereas, the Hawai‘i Revised Statutes, 1968, Section 304-12 reaffirms the authority of the Board to contract for faculty exchanges and sets forth the general conditions for the arrangements, and
Whereas, the Board may delegate to the President, as its chief executive officer, the authority to enter into contracts,
Therefore, be it resolved that it is the policy of the Board of Regents to delegate to the President the authority to enter into faculty exchange agreements consistent with the statutes and with other appropriate administrative guidelines the President may wish to issue in order to implement this delegation; and
Be it further resolved that the President may further delegate this authority to the Chancellors, that each faculty exchange, individual or institutional, entered into be reported for information on the Regents' agenda following the agreements approval by both parties, and that this policy shall be in effect upon full Board approval.
C. Guidelines for individual faculty exchanges shall be as follows:
1. No monetary consideration or exchange will be involved between the University of Hawai‘i and the institution from which the visiting faculty member comes or between the University of Hawai‘i and the visiting faculty member.
2. The University of Hawai‘i faculty member is responsible for developing an agreement with the host institution and for coordinating the details of assignment of the visiting faculty member with the appropriate entity in the University of Hawai‘i.
3. The University of Hawai‘i will pay to its faculty member the normal and full salary for the period he/she is visiting the host institution in return for the previously stipulated services of the visiting faculty member to the University of Hawai‘i.
4. All privileges and benefits of faculty status, such as credit toward sabbatical and collective bargaining salary increases shall accrue to the faculty member involved.
5. A formal agreement between the Campus Unit and the institution involved is to be prepared setting forth the above and any other provisions necessary to carry out an effective exchange. The Chancellor of the University of Hawai‘i Unit in which the faculty member is located is authorized to approve the agreement.
6. An item specifying the assignment of the University of Hawai‘i faculty member and the receiving of a visiting faculty member from the other institution involved will be placed on the next Regents' agenda following the approval of the exchange agreement by the appropriate Chancellor.
IV. Delegation of Authority
There is no policy specific delegation of authority.
V. Contact Information
Office of the Vice President for Academic Planning and Policy
Telephone: (808) 956-6897
A. Link to superseded Executive Policies in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/ep/
B. Link to Administrative Procedures in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/apm/sysap.php
VII. Exhibits and Appendices
No Exhibits and Appendices found
October 31, 2014
TopicsNo Topics found.