UH System Policies and Procedures
- Board of Regents Policies
1. General Provisions
- 101. Implementation and Maintenance of Regents Policy on Faculty Participation in Academic Decision-Making and Academic Policy Development
- 102. Authority to Manage and Control the Operations of the Campus
- 201. Faculty Involvement in Academic Policy
- 202. University Statement of Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action
- 203. Policy on Consensual Relationships
- 204. Interim Policy on Title IX Sexual Harassment
- 205. Policy and Guidelines on Inclusive Facilities
- 206. Whistleblower and Retaliation Policy
- 207. Executive Policy on Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals
- + 2. Administration
- + 3. Organization
- + 4. Planning
- + 5. Academic Affairs
- + 6. Tuition, Financial Assistance, and Fees
- + 7. Student Affairs
- + 8. Business and Finance
- + 9. Personnel
- + 10. Land and Physical Facilities
- + 11. Miscellaneous
- + 12. Research
- Abolished Policies (Post Oct. 2014)
- Archived EP
- - 1. General Provisions
- Administrative Procedures
UH‐Related Laws and Rules
- Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes (HRS) 304A
- Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules (HAR) Title 20
Executive Policy 1.201 Executive Policy 1.201
Faculty Involvement in Academic Policy
Executive Policy Chapter 1, General Provisions
Executive Policy EP 1.201 Faculty Involvement in Academic Policy
Effective Date: October 2014
Dates Amended: May 1979 (est.)
Responsible Office: Office of the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
Governing Board of Regents Policy RP 1.210, Faculty Involvement in Academic Decision-Making and Academic Policy Development.
Review Date: August 2017
To implement Regents Policy RP 1.210 on Faculty Involvement in Academic Decision-Making and Academic Policy Development.
No policy specific or unique definitions apply.
III. Executive Policy
A. General Procedures
1. In order to implement the Regents Policy in the spirit with which it was adopted, each Chancellor shall seek the advice of the campus faculty organizations (CFO) early in the development of general academic policy and prior to recommending a new or revised academic policy to the President of the University. Within an allowable and mutually agreed upon time frame, advice should also be obtained prior to the issuance of a new interpretation of a current major academic policy
2. In order that the President of the University and the Board of Regents may be aware of academic policies and actions proposed by one or more CFOs for University-wide consideration and application, each Chancellor shall communicate such proposals, accompanied by his independent recommendation, to the President of the University if action is required by the President or the Board of Regents. (If action on the policy proposed is appropriate at the campus or Unit level, transmission to other levels is optional as information.) The President of the University, in turn, shall solicit advice from other CFOs and communicate to the Board of Regents the recommendations of the CFOs along with his recommendation if action by the Board is required.
3. Proposals on academic policies affecting only one campus made by the CFO which require President or BOR approval shall be transmitted to the President by the Chancellor together with his independent recommendation. (If action on the policy proposed is appropriate at the campus or Unit level, transmission to other levels is optional as information.) The President shall communicate to the Board of Regents the recommendation of the CFO along with his own recommendation if action by the Board of Regents is required.
4. Each Chancellor shall respond to academic policy recommendations by the CFO within a reasonable time. The CFO shall respond to the Chancellor’s requests for advice in a similar manner. Should further action other than that by the Chancellor be required on policy proposals (by the President of the University or by the Board of Regents) the Chancellor shall communicate to the CFO his/her recommendation or action going forward. If the campus administration intends to go forward with a campus academic policy recommendation that differs substantially from the CFO advice, the appropriate administrator shall convey to the faculty such intention and the rationale and attempt reconciliation before forwarding the recommendation.
5. In cases of educational policy proposals that may be initiated by the Regents, the President shall decide the manner by which the advice of duly constituted faculty organization is sought and prior to final Board action, such advice along with Presidential recommendation will be considered.
6. On academic policy matters in which faculty and administration recommendations forwarded to the President reflect serious differences, the President or his designee, at the President's discretion, will consider assembling representatives from the appropriate CFOs and administration for consultation purposes, prior to making a recommendation to the Board.
7. Each campus shall have an approved system of faculty involvement as set forth in the Regents Policy. Consultations by Chancellors with each other and the Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs is urged to achieve University-wide similarity as to substance and process.
8. If at any time the CFO or the means by which CFO input is regularly secured becomes ineffective or if the spirit and letter of the RP 1.210 should appear to be inoperative, the CFO or the respective Unit or campus administration shall first attempt to resolve the problem at the campus. If resolution is not obtained, either party may request a review and evaluation. Such requests may be made directly to the President with a full disclosure of reasons for the request, and copies provided to the other party. A request for review, however, must deal only with ineffectiveness of and/or non-conformance with this policy and shall not be utilized as an appeal for operational and transactional decisions.
1. Until such time as the appropriate Chancellor has approved a revised constitution or charter for the campus, the previous charters shall remain in effect with the following exception:
Provisions in current charters that require the transmittal of all faculty recommendations to the Board of Regents are voided and the spirit and intention of the Regents Policy will be implemented.
2. Each charter shall go into effect upon the respective Chancellor's approval.
3. Each Chancellor will file with the President all organizational charters as they are approved.
IV. Delegation of Authority
Authority to approve charter or constitution of campus faculty organization delegated to campus chancellors. Authority to implement RP 1.210 and EP 1.201 is delegated to the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs.
V. Contact Information
Office of the Vice President for Academic Planning and Policy
Telephone: (808) 956-6897
A. Link to superseded Executive Policies in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/ep/
B. Link to Administrative Procedures in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/apm/sysap.php
VII. Exhibits and Appendices
No Exhibits and Appendices found
October 31, 2014