UH System Policies and Procedures
Board of Regents Policies
- Current Policies
- Abolished Policies (Post Oct. 2014)
- + 1. General Provisions
- + 2. Administration
- + 3. Organization
- + 4. Planning
5. Academic Affairs
- 201. Instructional Programs
- 202. Awards for Excellence in Teaching
- 203. Distinguished Academic Chairs
- 204. Affiliations and Cooperating Agencies with non University Entities
- 205. Academic Calendar
- 206. Establishment and Review of Centers and Institutes
- 207. Graduate Programs
- 208. Conferring of Academic Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates
- 209. Honorary Degrees and Regents’ Medals, and University Distinguished Professor
- 210. Distance Education and Offsite Instruction
- 211. Admissions
- 212. Early Admission Policies
- 213. General Education
- 214. Student and Credit Transfer within the University
- 215. University Centers
- 216. Library
- 217. University of Hawai‘i Press
- 218. Implementation of Policy
- 219. Emeritus/Emerita Title
- + 6. Tuition, Financial Assistance, and Fees
- + 7. Student Affairs
- + 8. Business and Finance
- + 9. Personnel
- + 10. Land and Physical Facilities
- + 11. Miscellaneous
- + 12. Research
- Archived RP
- Executive Policies
- Administrative Procedures
UH‐Related Laws and Rules
- Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes (HRS) 304A
- Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules (HAR) Title 20
Board of Regents Policy 5.205 Board of Regents Policy 5.205
Regents Policy Chapter 5, Academic Affairs
Regents Policy RP 5.205, Academic Calendar
Effective Date: Oct. 18, 2002
Prior Dates Amended: June 10, 1970; Oct. 19, 1990; Oct. 31, 2014 (recodified)
Review Date: August 2018
To set forth policy regarding the university’s academic calendar.
No policy specific or unique definitions apply.
III. Board of Regents Policy
A. A common systemwide academic calendar shall be established to facilitate student planning, cooperative programs among campuses and simplify student and faculty movements among institutions.
B. The president shall provide an academic schedule to all campuses at least two years prior to the commencement of the schedule’s first academic year.
C. The academic year for the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (with the exception of the John A. Burns School of Medicine), Hilo (with the exception of the College of Pharmacy), West O‘ahu, and the community colleges is composed of:
1. Two semesters of instruction consistent with educational practices that promote student achievement and regional and professional accreditation standards;
2. A final examination or evaluation period after the instructional period that may include study days; and
3. A registration, advising and orientation period preceding the opening of instruction sufficient to meet individual campus needs.
D. All campuses of the university shall adhere to a common first day of instruction each semester and observe holidays established by law.
1. Campuses may set internal dates for registration, examinations, study days, and commencement.
2. Collective bargaining contracts govern duty periods for faculty and staff.
E. Each campus shall schedule summer sessions according to its individual campus mission.
F. The president is authorized to approve calendars for inter-terms and other terms that deviate from the regular academic year. In all cases, the calendar will provide sufficient time for instruction and examination as recommended or required by regional (WASC) and professional accrediting bodies.
IV. Delegation of Authority
The president is authorized to approve calendars for inter-terms and other terms that deviate from the regular academic year. See RP 5.205(F).
V. Contact Information
Office of the Board of Regents, 956-8213, firstname.lastname@example.org
VII. Exhibits and Appendices
No Exhibits and Appendices found
Executive Administrator and Secretary of the Board of Regents
Approved as to Form:
October 31, 2014
TopicsNo Topics found.