UH System Policies and Procedures
Board of Regents Policies
- Current Policies
- Abolished Policies (Post Oct. 2014)
- + 1. General Provisions
- + 2. Administration
- + 3. Organization
- + 4. Planning
5. Academic Affairs
- 201. Instructional Programs
- 202. Awards for Excellence in Teaching
- 203. Distinguished Academic Chairs
- 204. Affiliations and Cooperating Agencies with non University Entities
- 205. Academic Calendar
- 206. Establishment and Review of Centers and Institutes
- 207. Graduate Programs
- 208. Conferring of Academic Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates
- 209. Honorary Degrees and Regents’ Medals, and University Distinguished Professor
- 210. Distance Education and Offsite Instruction
- 211. Admissions
- 212. Early Admission Policies
- 213. General Education
- 214. Student and Credit Transfer within the University
- 215. University Centers
- 216. Library
- 217. University of Hawai‘i Press
- 218. Implementation of Policy
- 219. Emeritus/Emerita Title
- + 6. Tuition, Financial Assistance, and Fees
- + 7. Student Affairs
- + 8. Business and Finance
- + 9. Personnel
- + 10. Land and Physical Facilities
- + 11. Miscellaneous
- + 12. Research
- Archived RP
- Executive Policies
- Administrative Procedures
UH‐Related Laws and Rules
- Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes (HRS) 304A
- Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules (HAR) Title 20
Board of Regents Policy 5.215 Board of Regents Policy 5.215
Regents Policy Chapter 5, Academic Affairs
Regents Policy RP 5.215, University Centers
Effective Date: Oct. 18, 2002
Prior Dates Amended: June 21, 1996; Jan. 17, 1997; Oct. 31, 2014 (recodified)
Review Date: August 2018
To establish a policy on university centers and its purpose.
No policy specific or unique definitions apply.
III. Board of Regents Policy
A. University centers establish a permanent university presence in communities that otherwise lack access to programs offered on university campuses. Their primary purpose is instructional, with some related student support. Courses and programs delivered through university centers use a variety of strategies ranging from technology intensive to face-to-face classroom interaction by instructors who travel from originating campuses to a university center.
1. University centers are not separately accredited; their program or degree offerings derive accredited status because they are provided by accredited university campuses. Qualified students who are unable to travel to a university campus can enroll through the centers in courses or programs offered by one or more of the university’s accredited institutions.
2. Board action shall be required to establish a university center. Three university centers are formally recognized as part of the university:
a. University Center, Kaua‘i, Līhu‘e, Kaua‘i, (administratively assigned to Kaua‘i Community College)
b. University Center, Maui, Wailuku, Maui (administratively attached to University of Hawai‘i Maui College)
c. University Center, West Hawai‘i, Kealakekua, Hawai‘i (administratively assigned to Hawai‘i Community College)
B. It is the responsibility of the executive vice president for academic affairs/provost to periodically convene the centers, campuses, and system offices to coordinate programs that meet systemwide and statewide needs effectively and to establish overall policies and practices for the university network of centers.
1. Campuses with administrative responsibility for university centers are responsible for ensuring that basic community needs assessments take place and that infrastructure needs consistent with accreditation requirements are met.
2. Campuses that originate educational programs and courses delivered at university centers are responsible for the overall quality of courses/programs offered, including adherence to appropriate academic policies, procedures, and accreditation requirements. Originating campuses also make available specialized student and academic support services.
IV. Delegation of Authority
There is no policy specific delegation of authority.
V. Contact Information
Office of the Board of Regents, 956-8213, firstname.lastname@example.org
B. See Chapter 12
VII. Exhibits and Appendices
No Exhibits and Appendices found
Executive Administrator and Secretary of the Board of Regents
Approved as to Form:
October 31, 2014
TopicsNo Topics found.