Information for U.S. Citizens/Residents


The Department of Second Language Studies has a number of scholarship funds that support student research and conference travel. Descriptions of these funds, their purposes, and application procedures and materials can be found at the following links.


WICHE Program

The University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa participates in the Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP), administered by the Western Interstate Commission on Higher Education (WICHE). Legal residents of the following WICHE member states and commonwealth may be eligible to enroll in select out-of-state graduate programs at resident tuition rates: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawai‘i, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

MA and PhD in Second Language Studies applicants who are eligible legal residents of the WICHE member states and meet the 3.0 minimum GPA* requirement are identified through the application process for resident tuition status upon acceptance and enrollment.

*Applies to students admitted from Fall 2020. Students admitted prior to Fall 2020 will still be eligible but must meet the 3.5 GPA requirement.

Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships

For applicants interested in combining a degree program in SLS with the study of an East Asian language (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) or a Southeast Asian language (Cambodian, Indonesian, Tagalog, Thai, or Vietnamese), there are a number of fellowships available that offer stipend and tuition support. U. S. citizenship is required. For more information, applicants should contact the UHM School of Pacific and Asian Studies.

Financial Aid Services

A variety of financial aid is available to graduate students, including UHM scholarships and grants, federal grants, federal Work Study, outside funding, and loans. Please refer to Financial Aid Services for more information.