Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified (PBU) Applicants

A University category of admission is that of a Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified (PBU) student, for students not admitted to any advanced degree program. Unclassified students sometimes enroll in SLS graduate courses (if there is space), and sometimes they later apply to the MA program. PBU students applying to the MA in SLS degree program are subject to the same application process and requirements as all applicants. The Credit Acceptance Policy for credits earned as a PBU student can be found here:

Information on how to apply as a PBU student can be found at the following links (information also copied below):

Admissions Deadline:
Fall semester–July 15          Spring semester–December 15

If you wish to apply for post-baccalaureate unclassified student status you must possess a bachelor’s or advanced degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university or an equivalent degree from a recognized non-U.S. institution of higher education.

International applicants seeking PBU status: Students holding F-1 status and currently in approved “Optional Practical Training” (OPT), H-1, H-4 and J-2 visa holders residing in Hawai‘i may apply for post-baccalaureate unclassified student status. Contact UHM Graduate Division for information about admissions eligibility for other visa holders not mentioned above.

You need special registration approval to take 500-800 level courses at UH Mānoa. Contact the individual UH-Mānoa campus offices for additional information.

Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified students may not qualify for certain benefits and services such as Federal Financial Aid, Social Security benefits and Veterans Affairs benefits.

PBU student status does not guarantee admissions as a classified graduate student. Follow the standard admissions procedures for prospective students if you wish to be considered for classified student status.

Contact Graduate Student Services with any additional questions.