Purpose of Field
The primary purpose of practicum is to provide students with educational opportunities to apply foundation and concentration knowledge, skills, values, and ethics to practice. The practicum provides students with a bridge between practice realities and classroom learning. It offers students the opportunity to integrate and assimilate knowledge and theory with field experience and build a foundation for their own professional identity. It also provides students with the opportunity to acquire practice knowledge, skills, values, and attitudes in working with diverse client systems within a service setting.
- Define a foundation for their professional identity as social workers.
- Demonstrate the attributes of a professional social worker.
- Integrate practice perspectives and practice models to conceptual frameworks and practice theories acquired in classroom instruction.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills of generalist and advanced social work practice.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in assessment and intervention approaches with a focus on multi-cultural populations, including Hawaiian, Pacific Island, and Asian cultures of our communities, state, and the Pacific region.
- Incorporate and adhere to the NASW Code of Ethics.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in applying the strengths perspective to social work practice.
- Demonstrate strategies and skills of change that advance social and economic justice through practice at the micro, mezzo, and macro levels.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in practice with populations-at-risk.
- Demonstrate the ability to critically evaluate their social work practice skills.
Field Placement Agreement Forms
After you and your Field Instructor have agreed to work with one another for your upcoming field placement, complete and submit the Field Placement Agreement Form online to the Field Education Office.
Once the Field Placement Agreement Form has been submitted, please follow up with your Field Instructor to discuss your weekly schedule. For a listing of your start dates, refer to the Field Education Calendar.
Forms & Documents
- Field Placement Agreement Submission
- Request to complete field placement at employment site
- Emergency Contact Form
- Request to complete field hours outside of the semester
- Field Observation Tool
- Self-Assessment of Field Instruction Tools
- Field Instructor version
- Student version
- Supervision Template
- Field Placement Process overview
- Instructions on Joining GoogleClassroom
- First time sign in
- Join a class using a class code
- Zoom system requirements
Campus-Based and Distance Education Option
Robin G. Arndt
Gartley Hall Rm. 004B
Phone: (808) 956.9885
Wendy J. Lum
Gartley Hall Rm. 004C
Phone: (808) 956.6139