Activity 1: Ke ʻAla Hele o Ka Naʻauao “The Pathway of Knowledge”
Develop a Hawaiian language based curricular pathway, which includes both a short term certificate credential for Hawaiian language paraprofessionals and substitute teachers, as well as an associate’s level credential, which can lead to baccalaureate transfer
- Increase certificate completers by two per year after creating certificate in Yr 2.
- Increase by 10% per year number of AA Hawaiian Language degrees awarded beginning in Yr 3. Attainment: n/a
- Increase by 10% per year number of AA Hawaiian Studies awarded. (Baseline: 12, Yr1 Goal: 13) Attainment: 13 (met)
- Increase by 3% per year the number of degrees awarded to NH (Baseline: 156, Yr1: 161) Attainment: 142 (not met, too early in grant to have
Activity 2: Na Kaunoʻo Aʻoaʻo “Centers of Instruction/Learning”
Create community-based Hawaiian language centers to provide pathways to college
through partnering with and leveraging current K-12 language learning centers.
- Increase the number of community college centers located in immersion high schools (Baseline: 0, Yr 1 – 5:2) Attainment: 1 center created at Ke Kula o Samuel M. Kamakau (on track to complete)
- Increase the enrollment of NH students entering straight from Hawaii high schools by 1% per year (Baseline: 226, Yr1: 228) Attainment: in progress
- Increase the enrollment of Native Hawaiian adult learners (ages 25-48) by 1% per year (Baseline: 304, Yr1: 307) Attainment: in progress
- Increase certificate completers by two per year after creating certificate in Yr 2. Attainment: n/a
- Increase by 10% per year number of AA Hawaiian Language degrees awarded. Attainment: not available
- Increase by 3% per year the number of degrees awarded to NH (Baseline: 156, Yr1: 161). Attainment: 142 (not met, too early in grant to have impact)
Activity 3: Aʻahu Noʻeau “Armor of Wisdom”
Provide professional development for WCC instructors in order to increase WCC’s
capacity to offer Hawaiian medium instruction.
- Increase the amount of advanced language coursework completed by instructors (Baseline: 3 have some advanced coursework, Year 1: 4 have completed some advanced coursework). Attainment: 4
- Increase the level of faculty/lecturer highest education received (Baseline: 1 Ph.D., 2 M.A., 1 no degree, End of Grant: 2 Ph.D., 3 M.A., 1, B.A., 1 associate’s)* Attainment: PD program
being developed and advertised. On track.
- Increase the number of faculty and lecturers able to provide Hawaiian medium coursework (Baseline: 1 full-time + 2 lecturers = 3 total, Yr1: 4 total, Yr2: 5) Attainment: 4 total
Status: in progress