Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Students applying for the UH System Scholarships are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
Complete the UH System Common Scholarship Application via Scholarship Manager. Deadline to submit the UH System Common Scholarship Application is March 1st at 4:00 pm HST. It is recommended that you not wait until the last minute to submit your application; we cannot predict technical delays due to server volume.
You are required to submit a personal statement for the UH System Common Scholarship Application. Complete your personal statement in a Word document or PDF, then copy and paste it into Scholarship Manager. Your personal statement should include the following, if applicable:
- Why you think you deserve a scholarship;
- How these scholarships have helped and/or will help in your education;
- Your educational and career goals;
- Any accomplishments, including any honors or awards;
- Current employment;
- Your personal background, including any highlights, special situations in your life or other information that you want the Scholarship Committee to take into consideration (i.e. Returning to school later in life, raising children while pursuing a degree, etc.); and
- Any barriers to your obtaining your educational goals and how you plan to overcome them (i.e. Socio-economic or educational disadvantages).
The Common Scholarship application contains some optional essay questions, but it is strongly recommended that you complete as many as possible in order to be considered for the maximum amount of scholarships available. Some scholarships may have a particular subject specified in the scholarship criteria.
The essay does not replace your personal statement. If you will be completing an essay, complete it in a Word document or PDF, then copy and paste it into Scholarship Manager.
Topics for essays are as follows:
- Community or Volunteer Service—Complete an essay describing what activities you participated in (i.e. any activities including volunteer, leadership, membership and community services in social, school or community organizations which demonstrate your willingness to give back or contribute to your community).
- Commitment to Heath Care—Complete an essay describing what Health Care related activities you participated in (i.e. demonstrated commitment to health care, volunteer work, employment in health services, enrolled in a degree program in any area of health fields; career goals and plans in the health care field regardless of area of study; how you intend to impact the health of your community in the State of Hawaiʻi.)
- 442nd Veterans Endowed Scholarship—Complete an essay describing the role of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team of the United States Army in World War II and their legacy.
- Restoration—Complete an essay describing your commitment to the restoration Hawaiʻi’s native ecosystems, including the follow-up process that ensures success.
- Environmental Sustainability—Complete an essay describing your interest in the field of environmental sustainability, activities that you participated in and how you intend continue promoting environmental sustainability in the future.
- Honolulu Construction Management (Honolulu CC)—Complete an essay describing how your academic objectives relate to the construction management profession.
- Loui Student Innovation (Honolulu CC)—Complete an essay describing what new processes, fabrications, products, or new technologies that you are interested in to improve the carpentry field.
- Osher Scholarship (UH Hilo and UH West Oʻahu)—Complete an essay describing in detail on why your studies were interrupted (i.e. raised a family, work, serious injury or illness, etc.)
- Que Andrada Foundation Scholarship (UH Hilo and UH West Oʻahu)—Complete an essay that describes your participation in any activities related to Filipino culture including any volunteer work for organizations that serve the Filipino culture.
- Hilo Orchid Society Scholarship (UH Hilo)—Complete an essay that explains how your course of study and post-graduate plans benefit the agriculture industry in the State of Hawaiʻi.
- Senator Francis A. Wong/Berger Foundation (Hawaiʻi West Oʻahu)—Complete an essay that describes your participation in activities related to making a difference or contributing to sustainability, religion, ethics, business, politics, art and culture.
Letters of Recommendation
As a courtesy to your recommenders, it is advised that you request permission to use them as recommenders and advise them of the deadline to submit their Letter of Recommendation through Scholarship Manager. You will need an email address from the recommender. Examples of recommenders include past or present teachers/professors, employers, religious leaders, community leaders and organization leaders. Letters from relatives and friends will not be accepted.
The Letters of Recommendation are due by March 5th at 4:00 pm HST online via Scholarship Manager.
Some scholarships require a transcript for consideration, so uploading your high school and/or college transcripts is highly recommended in order to be considered for as many scholarships as possible. Transcripts must be uploaded by March 1, 2018 in order to be included with your application. Please be aware that uploading your transcripts in this system is for scholarship purposes only and will not satisfy a request for transcripts by any other UH office.
Students with 0-12 college credits:
If you have 0- 12 college credits completed at any UH campus, please upload your high school transcript and any previous college/university transcripts, if applicable. If your high school will not release a copy directly to you, then please have it sent directly to the UH System Financial Aid Office at 2444 Dole Street, Bachman Annex 9, Room 6, Honolulu, HI 96822. If you attended more than one high school, please request/upload a transcript from each of the high schools.
Students with 12 or more credits:
- If you have 12 or more credits completed at one or more UH campus(es) only (no other colleges/universities), no transcript is necessary to be considered for scholarships because all of your grades are already available to the scholarship committee.
- If you have 12 or more college credits not completed solely at one or more UH campus(es), please upload your college/university transcript(s). Note that no high school transcript is necessary, but if you attended more than one college or university, you will need to request a transcript from each college/university that you attended (including UH campuses).
Please upload your transcripts or have them sent to the UH System Scholarship Office postmarked by March 1, 2018 to:
University of Hawaiʻi
Office for Student Affairs
ATTN: UH System Scholarship Office
2444 Dole Street
Bachman Annex 9-6
Honolulu, HI 96822