VirusScan Enterprise detects legitimate Outlook attachments with multiple extensions as infected
For McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5 or 8.7
User receives email with subject line beginning with "McAfee Email Alert"
and message similar to following:
Attachment file : Spreadsheet 1.25.07.xls\1.OLE
Scanner Detected: Suspicious Extensions (Virus)
Action taken : Moved (Clean failed, file has multiple extensions)
- change on-delivery email scanner policy
- In VirusScan Console, right click On-delivery email scanner, click Properties.
- In the Advanced tab, uncheck "find attachments with multiple extensions".
- Click Apply and OK.
- restore the attachment that was moved to quarantine
- In VirusScan Console, right click Quarantine Manager Policy. Click Properties.
- In the Manager tab, right click the attachment filename. Click Restore.
- Click Yes to restore file and registry values.