A dig at an unusual cave and sinkhole near Poipu yields unexpected information about former human, animal and plant inhabitants. Kaua'i Community College groups join a Smithsonian scientist in uncovering the islands past.
Two UH professors brave criticism and challenge the status quo to help others. Attorney Eric Yamamoto helped overturn a Supreme Court ruling on a wartime internment conviction, paving the way for reparations for Japanese Americans. Anatomy expert Milton Diamond challenged the once-standard practice of reassigning gender in infants with damaged or ambiguous genitals, resulting in a change in standard medical practice.
UH civil engineers are using technology to prevent increased traffic congestion and provide O'ahu drivers with real-time information. Web sites, automated traffic monitors and computer simulations are among the tools Panos Prevedouros and C. S. Papacostas use to keep traffic moving.
Mushroom Man 17
In his passion for fungi, UH Hilo Professor Don Hemmes has produced the first field guide to Hawai'i mushrooms and hopes to make the modest mushroom a major new crop for the Big Island of Hawai'i.
- Hot water treatment can rid plants of pests, eliminating insects that would prevent export and curbing the spread of alien frogs. 3
- Turf grass trainers invent Hawai'i rules for the ancient game of bocce ball on a UH lawn. 3
- A UH Hilo professors study indicates chance and opportunity are the most reliable predictors of who will be an entrepreneur. 3
- High cholesterol isnt the risk for elderly men that it is for the middle-aged, according to a UH study. 3
- French mime Marcel Marceau receives a UH honorary degree. 3
- Watching television violence has little impact on later behavior, according to a UH Hilo study. 4
- UH research sends the Environmental Protection Agency back to the drawing board on tests use to measure tropical water standards. 4
- Three UH programs address disaster management and response. 4
- Honolulu Community College creates a mold that will be used to build a voyaging canoe for UH Hilo and other organizations. 4
- Hozy Rossi: A writer wins rave reviews for his first novel, Appointment with Il Duce. 21
- >Robert Ross: An ecologist tackles riddles for the U.S. Geological Survey in Pennsylvania. 23
- Denby Dung: Miss Hawai'i makes music education her platform. 25
- James Roberts: A former football player is now an international financier. 27