MEDIA ADVISORY: Apollo 11 Family Spacefest at Windward CCWindward Community College
Mktg & Public Rel Dir, Chancellor's Office
Joe Ciotti, (808) 236-9111
Professor, Natural Sciences
WHAT: Apollo 11 Family Spacefest
WHEN: Saturday, July 20, 2019, 10 a.m.– 4 p.m.
WHERE: Windward Community College
THEME: A free family-friendly festival celebrating the 50th anniversary of manʻs first landing on the Moon.
GOAL: “At Apollo11 Family Spacefest, we hope to ignite the imagination of young people to take risks, explore and learn. By following in the footsteps of these courageous astronauts, our keiki will learn that every adventure begins with one small step.” –Joe Ciotti, professor of physics, astronomy and mathematics
CONTACT: Joe Ciotti, professor of physics, astronomy and mathematics, (808) 236-9111 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SCHEDULE of events
10 a.m.—Opening Ceremony at Gallery ‘Iolani
10 a.m.–4 p.m.—Gallery ‘Iolani exhibit Many Small Steps with moon rocks and flag that was placed on the moon
11 a.m.–4 p.m.—Imaginarium shows (FREE)
- Astronaut –11 a.m.
- Back to the Moon – 12 p.m.
- Dawn of the Space Age – 1 p.m.
- Astronaut – 2 p.m.
- Back to the Moon – 3 p.m.
11 a.m.–4 p.m.:
- Space Facepainting
- Photo booth with space props
- Aerospace Exploration Lab (hands-on for all ages)
- Bottle rocket blast off with Project Imua college students
- Space velcro interactive activity for kids of all ages
- Apollo theater: recreation of 1969 living room + actual TV footage of moon landing
- Aerospace Exhibitors: Hawai'i Space Grant Consortium; Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum; PISCES (Pacific International Space Center for Exploration Systems; HI-SEAS (Hawai‘i Space Exploration Analog and Simulation)
11:30 a.m.–noon—Jeff Taylor, Legacy of Apollo / Hale ‘Imiloa 133
12:30–1 p.m.—Bruce Blankenfeld, Polynesian Voyaging / Hale ‘Imiloa 133
1:30–2 p.m.—Krissie Kellogg, Space Shuttle / Hale ‘Imiloa 133
Co-sponsors: Windward Community College, Hawai‘i State Archives, and Hawai‘i State Library