Month-long Celebration of Career and Technical Education
Raising awareness of Leeward's CTE ProgramsLeeward Community College
Director of Marketing, Chancellor's Office
Ron Umehira, (808) 455-0321
Dean, Career & Technical Education, Academic Affairs
More than 500 Leeward and Central O'ahu high school and middle school students helped launch CTE Month at Leeward Community College on Tuesday, February 5. The students participated in the 2019 CTE Open House, featuring tours and hands-on activities to introduce them to all the possibilties in career and technical education programs.
Career and Technical Education Month® is a public awareness campaign that takes place each February to celebrate the value of CTE and the achievements and accomplishments of CTE programs across the country.
During the month of February, we are celebrating CTE Month with:
- CTE displays past and present in the Learning Commons
- the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program available from February 2 through March 30
- CTE Open Housea on February 5 and 6 for 500 high school juniors and seniors and 125 middle school students
- Student Entrepreneur Spring Fair on February 12
- Culinary Arts Scholarship Brunch on February 17
- Culinary Arts Employment Fair on February 20
- Skills USA Automotive Competition on February 26
- Digital Media Student Panel on February 26
Leeward's Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs provide students with industry-relevant skills for high-wage, high-demand careers. CTE encompasses many different types of education, from classroom learning to certification programs to work-based learning opportunities outside the classroom, to non-credit workforce development programs.
The CTE courses are taught by faculty who are experts in their fields, have real world experience and will take the time to help each student. A complete listing of Leeward's CTE programs.
For more information, visit: http:/www.leeward.hawaii.edu/cte-month