Frequently Asked Questions

What is EECB?

three quesion marks

The Ecology Evolution and Conservation Program is a graduate specialization for students at the University of Hawaii with interests in the general areas of Ecology Evolution and Conservation Biology.

What is a "graduate specialization"?

A "specialization" allows students with interests that might go beyond the limits of the existing departmental programs and whose research cuts across disciplines.

How is it different from being a grad student in the Departments at UH?

When EECB Students form their thesis/dissertation committees, they can select members from the entire EECB graduate faculty. This faculty includes faculty in 10 different departments in 6 schools and colleges at UH Manoa and UH Hilo as well as affiliate faculty members working in state and federal natural resource management agencies as well as NGO's. Additionally, EECB students are eligible to apply for research and travel funds administered through the EECB program. Aside from these direct benefits EECB students and faculty participate in an EECB seminar series (EvoLuncheon) and there are several cross-disciplinary research programs in which EECB grad students and faculty work together.

What kinds of financial assistance are available to EECB students?

This varies depending on what is available in a students home department/program. Also, there are several different kinds of research and travel support specifically available to EECB students through its fellowship program. Because the availability of these different funding sources changes quickly please check the Information for Students page on the EECB web site for the most up to date information .

Would I be in one of the regular Departments or in EECB?

Yes, all EECB students are in one of the 10 participating departmental degree-granting programs and it is from that program that they will receive their degree (However, the diploma will state that the graduate has completed the specialization in EECB as well as the departmental program requirements).

How do I apply for admission to the EECB program?

Since all grad students at UH must be accepted into a regular departmental degree-granting program, application to the EECB program is available only once you have been accepted to a participating academic department (Biology, Botany, etc) AND you have enrolled at the University. Additional details of the application procedure are available on the Admission Information page on the EECB website.

Does EECB accept applications for both Fall and Spring Semesters?

Yes, once you are enrolled at the University you may apply to join the EECB program. Applications are reviewed in both the spring and fall semesters, for admission the following semester. So the earliest that you can apply is during your first semester in the UH graduate program.

If I am a graduate student at UH is it too late to think about applying to EECB?

No, The EECB admissions committee accepts applications from students currently enrolled in a graduate program at UH. The requirements are still the same; you must have an EECB sponsor and three letters of recommendation. Applications from students already in any Departmental program can be submitted for either the fall or spring semester. Please email the EECB office expressing your interest in applying to the program. We will then obtain a copy of your file from your department. You will need to have your sponsor write a letter of recommendation in order to be admitted to the EECB Program.

What are the requirements for admission?

Each departmental graduate program has its own set of admission requirements so you should contact the department to determine exactly what that program requires. (Much of this information can be found in the departmental listings on the UH Web site). In addition, to be admitted to EECB the program you need to identify an EECB faculty member as a sponsor, and submit a letter explaining why you want to join EECB (for more information see the Admission Information page).

Must my EECB Sponsor be my committee chair?

Usually, your sponsor, who must be a member of the EECB faculty, will be your major advisor / committee chair. If for some reason this is not possible, please contact the EECB chair for guidance.

What if my interests change, can I change my EECB sponsor?

Yes, it is possible to change your dissertation/committee and your EECB faculty sponsor through a memo to the Office of Graduate Education.

How will I know about my application to EECB?

You should hear from EECB a few weeks after you submitted your application.

What are the requirements once I am in the program?

To remain an EECB student in good standing you should attend the weekly EvoLuncheon. For completion of the EECB program you will also need to pass one graduate course each (i.e. at least two credits each in courses numbered 600 and above) in the areas of Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Biology. Most of these courses are listed on the Information for Students page on the EECB website. In special cases other courses can be substituted for those listed on the web page, but you must get the substitution approved by the graduate education committee.

Copright © 2010 | Lucy Kida | All Rights Reserved

This page last modfied 8 September 2016 by Rob Cowie