Skip to content
U H Seal
UH Seal
U H Hilo Vulcans athletics logo
Hilo Athletics
U H Manoa athletics logo
Mānoa Athletics

What We Do

Established in 1983, the Collegiate Licensing office protects and controls the use of the university’s:

  • Name
  • Seals
  • Abbreviations
  • Symbols
  • Emblems
  • Logos
  • Mascots
  • Slogans
  • Uniforms
  • Landmarks
  • Other terminology and trademarks that have come to be associated with the university

(The above listed items hereafter referred to as “Indicia.”)

The university established a formal licensing program which enables the university to share in the benefits derived from the commercial use of its indicia. By creating cooperative relationships with licensees to further develop the market for “officially licensed products of the University of Hawaiʻi”, the consumer may be attracted to purchase such products that support the university. In this way, the licensing program promotes a relationship through which both the university and its licensees will benefit.

Any production or sales of unauthorized products or services is a violation of the federal Lanham Trademark Act of 1946, the federal Trademark Act of 1984, and State of Hawaiʻi trademark counterfeiting (Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes Section 708-875) and unfair competition laws, among others. Such violations subject one to liability for damages, injunctive relief, attorney’s fees and other penalties, civil and criminal. Infringing merchandise is also subject to seizure.

Use of the University of Hawaiʻi Indicia without the university’s express written consent is prohibited and considered trademark infringement.


Click on the “Register” button, complete the information in the form and click on the “Submit Request” button. Submit the online application.


Department of Intercollegiate Athletics
c/o Collegiate Licensing Office
1337 Lower Campus Road
Honolulu, HI 96822


Vince Baldemor
Collegiate Licensing Administrator
   (808) 956-0912

Jim Stein
Collegiate Licensing Administrator
   (808) 956-2637


1. Why have a licensing program?

The licensing program regulates and protects the commercial use of the university’s name and identifying marks locally, nationally and internationally. The licensing program also promotes the university by stimulating public awareness and support of the University through licensing the commercial use of its trademarks and by ensuring that the product bearing its marks are of high quality and reflect positively on the University.

Toggle title

Any name, mark, logo, insignia, seal, design, word, letters or symbols which have come to be associated with the University of Hawaiʻi qualify as its trademarks. The use of any of the university’s trademarks, even when encompassed by creative designs, are subject to licensing. The commercial use of all the university’s trademarks is restricted to official licensees.

Toggle title

Trademarks may be any artwork or logo graphic work relating to the presentation of the following:

  • University of Hawaiʻi/University of Hawaii
  • UH and the names and abbreviation of its other campuses
  • Athletic Department trademarks and nicknames such as Rainbow Warriors, Rainbow Wahine and Vulcans
  • The University of Hawaiʻi System and campus seals, buildings and their names, and any other designs, symbols, art, words or groups of words that have come to be associated with the university or its campuses

4. Who must be licensed?

Any individual, organization or company wishing to use the University of Hawaiʻi’s name or identifying marks for a commercial venture must obtain a license. This includes the use of the university’s name or trademarks on products including premiums and promotions.

5. What kinds of products may be licensed?

Any product will be considered by the university, however, no product will be licensed by the university until it has been reviewed and approved by the university via the Collegiate Licensing Office.

6. What happens if a trademark is used without a license?

Unauthorized use of the university Indicia may be judged an infringement of trademark ownership, punishable by law.

7. What are the requirements for obtaining a license?

A brief summary of the major licensing requirements are as follows:

  • The license is non-exclusive.
  • The agreement is effective for a 1–year period and renewable.
  • The royalty rate is a fee charged to the licensee for the privilege of using the university’s name and identifying marks on its products. The royalty rate charged is a percentage of the licensee’s gross sales of the licensed products.
  • A non-refundable processing fee or royalty guarantee is paid at the time the licensing agreement is executed.
  • A sample of each licensed product must be submitted to the licensing office for approval, prior to its sale or distribution to the public.
  • Sales reports and royalty payments are required on a quarterly basis.
  • Proof of product liability insurance is required, with the university name as an additional insured.
  • All licensed products are required to bear the “officially licensed product” label.
  • The University has the right to review the sales and royalty records of the licensee.

8. How do I apply for a license?

Please visit the university’s licensing agent, Affinity Licensing’s website at and click on “get licensed”, register and submit an online application to start the process of producing and selling officially licensed products.

Last modified: October 6, 2022
Back To Top