Emergency Aid Application Status:

There are a few different emergency grant programs available throughout the University of Hawaiʻi system. This includes the Urgent Student Relief Fund, various Campus Emergency Aid programs, all funded by the generosity of private, often individual donors, and the Coronoavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) grant funded by the federal government. This application portal is used for some of these programs using a common application. Your home campus may have a different application process for emergency grants so we encourage you to contact the Vice Chancellor for Students or Dean of Students at your home campus for more information.

Campus Contacts


Farrah-Marie Gomes, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
(808) 932-7445

West Oʻahu
Jan Javinar, Interim Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
(808) 689-2671

Hawaiʻi CC
Dorinna Cortez, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
   (808) 934-2510

Honolulu CC
Lara Sugimoto, Dean of Student Services
   (808) 845-9236

Kapiʻolani CC
Noʻeau Keopuhiwa, Interim Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
   (808) 734-9522

Kauaʻi CC
Margaret Sanchez, Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs
   (808) 245-8274

Leeward CC
FAQdocument (PDF)
Lexer Chou, Coordinator Student Life
(808) 455-0248

Maui College
Marilyn Fornwall, Development Assistant
   (808) 984-3261

Windward CC
Robert Yamashita, HI-Net Coordinator
  (808) 235-7386


Additional Community Support Services, Resources & Information

We understand that this aid may not cover all of the need. UH HI-Net coordinators have collated other services, resources and information available for students in the identified areas below.

  1. Nutritional & Financial Assistance
  2. Emergency Food Assistance
  3. Childcare
  4. Medical & Unemployment
  5. Housing Financial Assistance (Utilities & Shelter)
  6. Other Resources & Information

I applied but have not heard back. Who do I contact?

If you have applied and have not yet heard back, please contact your appropriate campus listing above for status updates. UH Mānoa applicants can expect longer delays due to the volume of applications. We appreciate your patience.

How much money has been donated to the USRF?

As of April 2020, over $1 million has been pledged through donations to the Urgent Student Relief Fund. Each week the balance of the fund is updated with donations that have been deposited and processed so that this funding can be awarded to students. The University of Hawaiʻi Foundation is working diligently to secure more funding to match the need.

Has the fund run out of money?

While we are actively awarding as many requests as possible, this is a live account with incoming donations being still being received. We will continue to award students as long as there are funds available. The University of Hawaiʻi Foundation is working diligently to secure more funding to match the need.

What kind of requests are being funded?

Requests vary. The awards have been prioritized to assist with unexpected emergency financial hardships incurred while enrolled at any UH campus to ensure students are afforded the ability to continue their education. Requests for support must be for an unplanned emergency expense that has or is currently impacting a student’s ability to be successful at UH. Overall, most requests have been to assist with housing, food, childcare, transportation, and technology. Complete applications with clear descriptions of situations are being prioritized.

How much money are individual students getting from the USRF?

Approved awards are generally between $100-$500 and amounts are based on the type of request and urgency of the hardship. Exceptions for amounts greater than $500 are very rare but may be approved on a case-by-case basis.

Is this the CARES money I keep hearing about?

No, the USRF consists of donations from raised locally by the University of Hawaii Foundation and is separate from the Federal CARES money. This application is now also being used for students whose home campus is at UH Mānoa.

What other resources can students access?

The University of Hawaiʻi has compiled a list of resources for Students that includes: Nutritional and Financial Assistance, Emergency Food Assistance, Childcare, Medical and Unemployment, Housing Financial Assistance, and Other Resources and Information.

Additionally, all students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA to apply for other types of financial aid if they have not done so already, especially if a student’s or parent’s financial situation has changed.

Can I print and mail my application?

The Urgent Student Relief Application has now moved exclusively online. If you do not have access to a device or the internet, then please contact your campus to notify them of this and they can assist you.


For program-related questions, e.g., Do I qualify for this program?, What is a qualifying expense? etc., contact your campus contact above.

For technical issues, e.g, login problems, website error messages, contact Web Support at web-support-l@lists.hawaii.edu.

Are you interested in donating to the Urgent Student Relief Fund? Visit the donation page. 

Last modified: February 22, 2021