HEALTH CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS
KNOW THE VAX before you enroll…
State of Hawaiʻi law mandates that certain health requirements be cleared before students can enter into postsecondary institutions. The following information is provided to assist students with fulfilling these requirements prior to beginning classes at UH.
What does Hawaiʻi State Law require for Post-Secondary School attendance?
The Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules, Chapter 11-157, requires all students to meet immunization requirements before they attend any post-secondary school in the state.
What are the health requirements for Post-Secondary School attendance in Hawaiʻi?
- Immunizations A record of immunizations, signed or stamped by a U.S. licensed practitioner (Physician, Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, or Physician Assistant) or the Hawaiʻi Department of Health, must be presented for school attendance.
- Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance For information regarding TB clearance requirements, contact the Hawaiʻi Department of Health Tuberculosis Control Branch:
*SPECIAL NOTE: If you attended any UH Campus prior to July 2020, you are only required to have Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) and Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance. Please log on to your STAR account to see if you’ve met this requirement.
What immunizations are required by the 1st day of school?
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
- Tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (Tdap)
- Meningococcal Conjugate (MCV)*
*Required for students (age 21 or younger) who will be living in on-campus housing for the first time.
If you do not have the required immunizations by the first day of school, you must provide an appointment card from your doctor showing you are in the process of completing the missing immunizations.
Per the law, a student who has not completed all of the immunizations or does not have an appointment card from their doctor by the 1st day of school WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND SCHOOL until these requirements are met.
Where can I get immunizations?
- Talk to your doctor. If you don’t have a doctor and need one, call Aloha United Way 2-1-1.
- If you are attending the University of Hawaiʻi at Manoa, University of Hawaiʻi Hilo, University of Maui College or Leeward Community College, you may check with their health centers for assistance with vaccinations.
Print the UH Health Clearance Form and bring it to your medical provider. The medical practitioner will review the requirements, enter the required information, and sign each form. Note that forms must be completed by a US licensed practitioner. A US licensed practitioner signed record of immunizations (and any supporting documentation - with dates) may be submitted in lieu of the UH Health Clearance Form.