Desktop video conferencing does not require meeting rooms with monitors and video cameras. It allows users to host or join a meeting from their desktop or mobile device. Simple click-to-connect convenience quickly brings participants into a meeting on a computer, tablet or smartphone. A reliable network bandwidth, a computer equipped with a webcam, microphone, headphones (if in a public area), and a videoconference plug-in/software is all that is needed.
Our office schedules videoconferences for users who do not have their own Zoom license and would like to use the service to conduct meetings. We are able to schedule one time or short-term recurring conferences and/or classes. However using our service means that you will not have a license assigned to you and instead will be connecting to a session scheduled on your behalf.
Instructions for Using Zoom in a Classroom:
Conferencing Enabled Classrooms:
Computer Hardware/Software Requirements
Minimum Mac Requirements
- Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
- 2 GB of RAM
- Mac – OS X 10.10+
- Download/Install Zoom App for Mac: https://hawaii.zoom.us/download
Minimum Windows PC Requirements
- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz, or, AMD equivalent
- 2 GB RAM
- Windows – 10, 8, 7 (SP1+)
- Download/Install Zoom App for PC: https://hawaii.zoom.us/download
- Firefox 27+
- Chrome 30+
- Safari 7+
- Internet Explorer 11+
- Edge 12+
- Install Zoom Mobile App
- Download for free from Apple Store
- Download for free from Google Play Store
Service is free for UH faculty and staff for University of Hawaii business.
Requestor must submit a Desktop Videoconferencing (Zoom) Request Form at least three business days prior to conference date.
- Scheduling assistance, please contact the Scheduling Hotline at (808) 956-2724 or email@example.com
- Requestor will receive a confirmation, via electronic mail, with User Instructions.
- Instructions will include:
- 1) how to connect to conference
- 2) trouble call number in case an individual is having problems before or during conference
- Instructions will include:
- Requestor is responsible for sending participant(s) the User Instructions prior to the videoconference.
Conditions of Use
- Desktop Videoconference Service may be used for the following purpose:
- Ad hoc UH business such as administrative meetings, interviews, research collaborations, tutoring, advising, and connecting with subject-matter experts.
- Instructional/Distance learning enhancement such as virtual office hours, small group work, tutoring, connecting with subject-matter experts.
- Must be an active University of Hawaii faculty or staff to submit a request.
- Student requests must be facilitated through student’s UH advisor, UH instructor, or UH program department.
- Maximum number of participants in a single conference is three hundred (300).
- Requests for guest lecturing for an outside institution must be sponsored through your UH department, otherwise charges will be incurred.
- Requests for non-UH business will incur charges.
- Do not use Wi-Fi connection to computer. Please use physical network cable to Internet.
- If sessions are to be recorded, Requestor must:
- Notify each participant that they will be recorded
- Obtain clearance for use of any copyrighted material
- To cancel a request, a minimum notice of 24 business hours is required.
Information Technology Services manages Zoom licenses for the University of Hawaii System. UH faculty and staff may request a Zoom Account to participate in a videoconference from his/her own compatible computer. For more information go to the ITS Site License website.