Information Technology Services (ITS) has established a licensing program with the video conferencing provider called Zoom. Zoom may be used for hosting online classes, meetings, webinars, advising, tutorials, online office hours, connecting with subject-matter experts, group work, and more. A Zoom user account is needed to schedule, host, or moderate a Zoom meeting. However, an account is not needed to attend a meeting.
A limited number of Licensed accounts are available to UH faculty and staff. Accounts will be monitored periodically to verify usage. Any unused accounts will reduced to a Basic (free) account to provide the higher level of Zoom services to another user.
For more information on the transition to Zoom, please visit:
How to request for a Zoom Account:
- Do you need to host 1 to 1 meetings and/or group meetings/classes with less than 100 participants and under 40 minutes? If YES, please sign up for a free, Zoom Basic Account at https://zoom.us/signup.
- Do you need to host 1 to 1 meetings and/or group meetings/classes with more than 100 participants and/or over 40 minutes? If YES, please sign up for a UH Zoom License by clicking on the Request Account button below and list this as your reason. Please note that the maximum number of participants for this account is 300 participants.
- Do you need specific features for meetings and/or group meetings/classes that are not included in the Zoom Basic Account? If YES, please sign up for a UH Zoom License by clicking on the Request Account button below and list the specific feature(s) that you require.
- Please read through the Zoom Terms and Conditions.
- Click on the button below to request for a new UH Zoom account. You will be required to log in with the UH Username and password of the account you are requesting a license for (UH departmental accounts are accepted). A valid reason for your request will also be needed. Once submitted, you will receive a response within 2-3 business days. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not receive a response within that time frame.
- For faculty needing assistance during the COVID-19 emergency: Teaching Online During an Emergency
- To get started, visit the Zoom Help Center.
- For any questions regarding Zoom settings, features, and options, please contact email@example.com.
- Follow the UH ITS Zoom Blog to keep up with the current tips and issues with using Zoom.
- For free interactive live training sessions from Zoom experts visit the Zoom Live Training Webinars page.
- For issues with your account or the services, contact Zoom Technical Support.
- For any technical issues on the day of your conference please contact the Video Operations Center at (808) 956-5191. For assistance after hours/weekends/holidays, you may contact the ITS Help Desk at (808) 956-8883 / toll free: (800) 558-2669, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Where can faculty get assistance in teaching their course online?
Please review Teaching Online During an Emergency.
- Who is eligible for a UH Zoom Account?
Active UH faculty and staff* with a need for a higher level of Zoom services may request for a licensed account through this program. Unfortunately this program does not cover undergraduate/graduate students. All users may sign up for a free, "Basic" account directly from Zoom.
* Graduate, Research, and Teaching Assistants also qualify.
- Can I request for an account using a UH Departmental Email Account?
Yes. With Zoom, you can request for an account using a departmental email address.
- What's the difference between the free "Basic" (free) account from Zoom and a UH Zoom account?
- Anyone can request for a free account directly from
Zoom. The free, "Basic" account allows the user to host an unlimited number of one-on-one meetings for an unlimited duration. For group meetings, the maximum number of attendees is 100, with a limit of 40 minutes per meeting.
- UH has a limited number of "Educational" accounts for Zoom. This type of account gives a user access to an unlimited number of meetings with a maximum of 300 participants. There are no time restrictions on the duration of any group meetings with this account.
- Anyone can request for a free account directly from Zoom. The free, "Basic" account allows the user to host an unlimited number of one-on-one meetings for an unlimited duration. For group meetings, the maximum number of attendees is 100, with a limit of 40 minutes per meeting.
- How do I know if I have a Basic or a Licensed Account?
Log in to your Zoom Account ( https://zoom.us/signin) and click on PROFILE in the left column. You should see one of the following:
Basic (Free) Account: UH Licensed Account:
- Are the UH Zoom Accounts HIPAA compliant?
No, the general accounts provided from this request page are not HIPAA compliant. For HIPAA, recording, chat and many other features would need to be diabled for privacy. The UH Zoom accounts do not have these features disabled as they are needed for general university use. ITS however does have a limited number of HIPAA compliant Zoom accounts available. If you are in need of a HIPAA compliant Zoom account please email your request to email@example.com.
- Do I need an account to attend a Zoom meeting?
No, an Zoom account is not needed to attend a meeting. Only those that host meetings will need a Zoom account.
- Are webinars included in the UH Zoom Account?
No, the webinar feature is not included with UH Zoom Accounts. You can however request for temporary access for your event(s). This is currently a shared resource and availability is on a first come first served basis. The current capacity for Zoom webinar viewers is limited to 100 or 1000. Please visit the following site for more info and to submit your request: https://www.hawaii.edu/its/videoconferencing/webinar/.
- Is Live Streaming an option for an event under the UH Zoom Account?
Due to security reasons ITS has blocked, by default, the ability for users to live stream their conferences. ITS is able to temporarily provide access when/if this feature is needed. To request access please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Is there a Toll-Free number that can be used for meetings?
At this time there is no toll-free number. More information will be posted here if/when options are available.
- How do I record a Zoom meeting?
Zoom Basic (Free) account and UH Zoom Licensed Accounts have recording capabilities. Visit https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362473-Local-Recording for detailed instructions.
- Is cloud recording available for Zoom?
For security and privacy reasons, direct access to the Zoom’s Cloud Recording portal is disabled. As an alternative, cloud recordings may be accessed instead through ITS’ UH Zoom Recording service. Otherwise, recordings are saved directly to your local hard drive.
- What is UH's policy for online lectures and recordings (FERPA)?
The FERPA guideline for UH can be found at: https://datagov.intranet.hawaii.edu/ferpa-guidance-for-online-lectures-and-recordings/
- Will there be a charge for these accounts in the future?
At this time, ITS is providing a limited number of accounts to UH faculty, staff and departmental accounts to utilize Zoom's video conferencing services. A charge-back system may be put in place at a later time, however this has not been determined yet. Users will be notified if a fee is put in place for licensed accounts. "Basic" Zoom accounts either from Zoom or UH are still free of charge.
- Are there UH virtual backgrounds that users can use?
The UH Office of Communications has created a page with backgrounds for the UH Manoa and UH System, with links for UH West Oahu and UH Hilo: https://www.hawaii.edu/offices/communications/zoom-backgrounds/
If there are any questions regarding this program, please contact the ITS Site License Office at (808) 956-2404 or email: email@example.com.