The college offers free hands-on workshops and demonstrations on a variety of digital, mobile and technology topics, from wearable technology, drones and 3D printing, to GoPro videos and Instagram. The sessions are designed for the general public, with the several sessions geared specifically to educators.
Geek Day also offers a Digital Café, where participants can discover new apps, receive one-on-one help with computer problems and view demos of 3D printing and hands-on robotics.
For the photography sessions, participants are asked to bring their own camera. For BYOD sessions, participants are asked to bring their own mobile devices.
Sessions include how to:
- Get more views on YouTube (and generate revenue)
- Shoot better digital photos (bring your own camera)
- Shoot and edit a video with GoPro
- Build your own app
- Buy and use a drone (with demos, weather permitting)
- Build a website with WordPress
- Understand crowdsourcing apps like Waze
- Draw with Adobe Illustrator
- Understand computer security
- Use a no-cost alternative to Photoshop
All activities are free and open to the public. Workshops include both Mac and Windows platforms. Doors open at 9:30 a.m. for registration, with the first session beginning at 10 a.m. Door prizes include iTunes, GooglePlay and Amazon gift cards and more.
Visit the Geek Day website for information and details on all sessions.
—By Kathleen Cabral