The search for Kauaʻi Community College’s new chancellor has begun. The position was announced locally and nationally on July 19, 2019, and the expected start date is January 2, 2020. Kauaʻi CC’s Chancellor Helen Cox is planning to retire at the end of December 2019. She will have served as chancellor for more than 11 years.
In making the search announcement, University of Hawaiʻi Interim Vice President for Community Colleges Erika Lacro said Kauaʻi CC is seeking a visionary, creative and collaborative leader who can guide the college to address challenges and opportunities.
“The next chancellor must embody Kauaʻi CC’s mission of being a kahua (foundation/site) that inspires, engages and empowers learners and educators to enrich their community and world,” Lacro said.
- August 2019: The Chancellor Search Advisory Committee (CSAC) plans to begin screening applicants and nominees.
- October 2019: In addition to in-person finalist interviews, on-campus visits will be scheduled to ensure that students, faculty, staff and other stakeholders are able to attend open forums.
- October 2019: Lacro plans to submit her recommended candidate for appointment to UH President David Lassner.
- January 2020: Expected start date of the new chancellor.
Chancellor Search Advisory Committee
The 19-member committee includes representation from Kauaʻi CC’s constituency groups: faculty, students, Makaloa Council (Native Hawaiian), civil service staff, Administrative Professional and Technical (APT) staff, operations and maintenance staff, administrator, organizational units and community leaders.
- Margaret Sanchez, Administrator, CSAC Chair
- James Andrews, Faculty, CSAC Vice Chair
- William Arakaki, Community
- Carna Brown, APT
- Terrence Bruns, Faculty
- Jen Chahanovich, Community
- Beorn Chantara, Student
- Malia Chun, Makaloa Council
- John Constantino, Student Services
- Gigi Drent, Faculty
- Sharon Ehlers, Faculty
- Gary Ellwood, Academic Services
- Lisa Kaaihue, Operations and Maintenance
- Deanne Koshi, Administrative Affairs
- Carol Llego, Civil Service
- Pat McGrath, Faculty
- Steven Nakata, Faculty
- Maili Ornellas, Student
- Eric San George, Faculty
- Candace Tabuchi, Search Coordinator