UH Cancer Center to be part of medical school
University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa Chancellor Robert Bley-Vroman told a UH Board of Regents’ committee on February 12 of his intention to convert the UH Cancer Center to an organized research unit within the John A. Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM). Bley-Vroman has tasked Jerris Hedges, dean of JABSOM and interim director of the UH Cancer Center, to lead the effort.
Hedges says the goal is to strengthen both critically important entities so that they are able to serve Hawaiʻi for generations to come.
“I am working with internal and external teams to develop a draft business plan for all of our stakeholders—state lawmakers, UH Cancer Center consortium members and the Board of Regents—by the end of March,” said Hedges. “We are committed to our mission providing the best medical care possible for the people of Hawaiʻi.”
- The economic value of the John A. Burns School of Medicine and University of Hawaii Cancer Center
- UH researcher’s book addresses, analyzes Ebola epidemic
- UH Mānoa issues cancer center report
- Fourth graders raise money for breast cancer research in Hawaiʻi
- Preterm birth by Filipino women linked to genetic mutational change