Seven teams have been selected as finalists for the third cohort of the University of Hawaiʻi XLR8UH proof of concept center/venture accelerator. The innovative research represented includes potential solutions in the areas of algorithms, desalinization, structures, travel, language and culture. The teams have the potential to receive between $25,000 to $50,000 for completing the program and up to $100,000 in follow on funding.
XLR8UH is a first of its kind proof of concept center/venture accelerator developed by the University of Hawaiʻi and Sultan Ventures, a boutique venture firm that manages it. The proof of concept center educates, mentors and invests in UH research and talent, ranging from students to post docs, faculty and alumni. It is one of the first public university investment programs in the nation, revolutionizing the way innovation and research is commercialized.
“XLR8UH continues to lay a solid foundation for the expansion of our entrepreneurial ecosystem at UH,” said Vassilis L. Syrmos, UH vice president for research and innovation. “The program is a key component to the successful commercialization of our research and to success of the Hawaiʻi Innovation Initiative.”
The teams are currently in the first phase XLR8UH’s intensive 16-week mentorship and investment program, where they will be assessing and developing their business models. Teams selected to advance on to the second phase will immerse themselves into further business development efforts and in the third phase, they will develop and practice their pitch to investors. Throughout the entire program, the teams will have access to valuable mentorship from experienced entrepreneurs and investors.
“We are very pleased with the diversity of our teams and the size of problems they are tackling,” said Omar Sultan, managing director of XLR8UH. “These teams have the real potential to produce substantial companies.”
XLR8UH cohort 3 finalists
- Algoritics, a platform that allows developers and data scientists to rapidly deploy algorithms
- DeSal Survival, a pocket-sized desalination device to produce fresh potable water for survival.
- Elevate Structure, Innovative structures for the 21st century
- Hanai, connecting you with local travel guides right from your phone
- Varsity Prep, preparing young athletes for varsity sports
- JetSet ESL, online international language and cultural training
- RealGreen Power, zero pollution, zero waste, transforming wastewater into clean water and energy