*Story updated on February 1, 2018: The job announcement for the position of chancellor of the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo has been posted. Go the UH Hilo Chancellor search website for more information and complete position description. Continuous recruitment; review of applications to begin on February 28, 2018.
The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Chancellor Search Advisory Committee has been appointed, and the committee will begin meeting immediately. A local, national and international search will be opened with the assistance of a professional firm, and the committee hopes to begin screening applicants and nominees by the end of February 2018.
The committee will conduct confidential video interviews of the most promising candidates, and the committee plans to host on-campus visits by the finalists in late April to ensure that students, faculty, staff and other stakeholders are able to meet the finalists and provide input.
UH President David Lassner will receive input from the committee and stakeholders and will then present a recommendation for appointment to the Board of Regents. The start date of the new chancellor will be determined based on the availability of the selectee.
“The next chancellor will be critical in strengthening UH Hiloʻs unique position in the state and beyond,” said Lassner. “UH Hilo is enriched by an amazing natural environment for learning and research, a deep grounding in Native Hawaiian language, culture and community, and remarkable faculty and student diversity—all enveloped by the warmth of the welcoming Hilo community. The next chancellor must lead the campus vigorously forward to serve Hawaiʻi Island and the state as a vital part of the UH System with a spirit of innovation and collaboration in order to adapt to the changing environment for higher education in Hawaiʻi and across the nation.”
The 16-member search advisory committee includes representation from UH Hilo faculty, students, staff, the Hanakahi Native Hawaiian council and community leaders. All committee members share a common commitment to the future of UH Hilo.
- Farrah-Marie Gomes, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, UH Hilo
- Vassilis Syrmos, Vice President for Research and Innovation, UH System
- Diane Barrett, Chair and Professor, School of Education, UH Hilo
- Philippe Binder, Professor of Physics, Natural Sciences Division, UH Hilo
- Roberta Chu, Senior Vice President and Hawaiʻi Island Manager, Bank of Hawaiʻi
- Lois Fujiyoshi, Executive Director of Budget and Business Management, UH Hilo
- Kerri Inglis, Chair of Social Sciences Division and Professor of Hawaiian and Pacific History, UH Hilo
- Gerald De Mello, Retired Director of University Relations, UH Hilo
- Carolyn Ma, Dean of the Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy and Associate Professor, UH Hilo
- M. Kāhealani Naeʻole-Wong, Poʻo Kula (Head of School), Kamehameha Schools Hawaiʻi Campus
- Joni Onishi, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Hawaiʻi Community College
- Sherrie Padilla, Enrollment Services Manager and Director of Financial Aid, UH Hilo
- Isaac Pang, Graduate Student in Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani College of Hawaiian Language, UH Hilo
- Kaleihiʻiikapoli Rapoza, Interim Vice Chancellor for Administrative Affairs, UH Hilo
- Jennifer Stotter, Director of Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action, UH Hilo
- Misaki Takabayashi, Interim Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Professor, UH Hilo
- Victoria Taomia, Vice President of UH Hilo Student Association