Funding applications are open for University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa undergraduate and graduate students who wish to study a language of Asia and the Pacific. Three of UH Mānoa’s federally-funded National Resource Centers (East Asia, Southeast Asia and Pacific Islands Studies) offer 2022–23 Academic Year and/or summer 2022 Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships that include full tuition and stipend. All majors are welcome, and students must enroll in language and area studies courses each semester that they are FLAS recipients to receive the funding.
Eligibility and fellowship information
- FLAS awards are subject to funding by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Applicants must be full-time, classified students at UH Mānoa or in the process of applying to a degree-granting undergraduate or graduate program at UH Mānoa at the time of application.
- FLAS recipients must be full-time, classified, degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate students in residence at UH Mānoa to receive the fellowship.
- East-West Center Degree Fellows are not eligible for academic year FLAS, but are eligible for summer FLAS.
- Graduate students holding an academic year FLAS are not eligible to hold a concurrent graduate assistantship/teaching assistantship/research assistantship position.
- Fellowships are awarded for one academic year and/or one summer at a time, and recipients may apply again for continued funding for up to two years of the fellowship.
- Fieldwork/Research: FLAS Fellowships are not a stipend for research or fieldwork. Check with your academic department for possible research/fieldwork funding opportunities from other sources.
- Southeast Asian languages (Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Khmer, Tagalog, Hmong or Lao) application submission deadline is January 17, 2022. Application instructions.
- East Asian languages (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) application submission deadline is February 1, 2022. Application instructions.
- Pacific Islands languages (Chamorro, Maori, Samoan, Tahitian, Tongan, Marshallese, Fijian) application submission deadline is February 1, 2022. Application instructions.
All questions related to FLAS Fellowships and the application process can be directed to Fellowships Coordinator Dr. Chizuko Allen at email@example.com or (808) 956-2210.