University of Hawaiʻi President David Lassner delivered his monthly report to the Board of Regents on January 20. Lassner began with a message of compassion for Tonga and everyone in the UH ʻohana impacted by the recent volcanic eruption.
He then updated UH’s ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic including in-person instruction resuming January 31, the return to in-person graduation ceremonies and the invaluable impact of COVID-19 federal aid.
The president also discussed the State House’s Mauna Kea Working Group efforts, current legislative inquiries and yesterday’s announcement of the $50 million dollar gift for ocean research, the largest contribution to date to the university, as UH is set to have a record year in philanthropy.
- Heartfelt compassion for Tonga (video)
- COVID-19 update (video)
- State House Mauna Kea Working Group Report (video)
- Legislative inquiries (video)
- Tenure task force update (video)
- Philanthropy—$50 million gift to improve ocean health (video)
- Enrollment down slightly overall (video)
- UHNews.org (video)