The process for recruitment and selection of the UH General Education Curriculum Design Team fully affirms the central importance of faculty and student governance across the UH system, and recognizes their oversight of and stakes in the curriculum. The All-Campus Council of Faculty Senate Chairs (ACCFSC) worked closely with the Office of the Vice President for Academic Strategy (OVPAS) and UH Mānoa’s General Education Office to create a balanced process that prioritized transparency and fairness. This begins with an open call for faculty and student volunteers from all ten campuses, the selection of faculty from all ten campuses using existing system-wide faculty and student governance bodies, and selection criteria that balance needed expertise, diversity of perspectives, and campus representation. This is the process all have agreed to for faculty recruitment and selection.
- President Lassner issued the charge for a new general education program, and an open invitation via email (dated March 12, 2021) for all UH faculty across the system to apply
- Faculty submitted applications online from March 12 through the application deadline of March 31, 2021
- The set of faculty applications from each of our ten campuses will be sent to that faculty senate’s leadership shortly after the application period closes
- Each campus’ faculty senate will submit 3-5 names from their applicant pool to the Office of the Vice President for Academic Strategy
- From the final pool of 30-50 individuals, the OVPAS will choose 10-12 individuals who bring a diversity of expertise and perspectives to the UH General Education Curriculum Design Team, and who include at least one faculty member from each of our ten campuses
- The OVPAS will consult with the All-Campus Council of Faculty Senate Chairs about these final selections, including the competencies, expertise, and roles of the finalists; adjustments to the selections may be negotiated at this time
- The 10-12 faculty chosen for the Design Team will be notified of their selection, and their names posted on the General Education Redesign website
A parallel process will be used to select the three undergraduate student members of the UH General Education Curriculum Design Team: one each representing UH Mānoa, UH Hilo or UH West Oʻahu, and the Community Colleges.
- Undergraduate students throughout the UH System will be invited to apply via an all-student email.
- The UH Student Caucus, a system-wide student governance committee, will select 5-8 finalists
- The Associate Vice President for Academic Strategy and Associate Vice President for Student Affairs will make the final selections in consultation with student governance
- The three students chosen for the Design Team will be notified of their selections, and their names posted on the General Education Redesign website