Kahua Ho‘ona‘au‘ao: Foundations of Knowledge Building

Activities, objectives and progress to date:

Activity 1. Kahua Hoʻonui ʻike: Foundation of Increasing Knowledge
(Developmental Education)

Building a foundation of success, as measured by successful course completion, for underprepared students through specific targeted interventions using a coaching paradigm to increase self-efficacy and effective resource utilization.

  • Increase successful completion of developmental Math course in first year by first time freshman by 3% per year (Baseline:54%, Yr1:57%, Yr2:60%, Yr3:63%, Yr4:66%, Yr5: 69%). Attainment: on schedule
  • Increase successful completion of developmental Writing course in first year by first time freshman by 2% per year (Baseline:60%, Yr1:62%, Yr2:64%, Yr3:66%, Yr4:68%, Yr5: 70%). Attainment: on schedule
  • Increase successful completion of transfer level Math by first-time freshman in the first year by 3% per year. (Baseline:21%, Yr1:24%, Yr2: 27%, Yr3:30%, Yr4:33%, Yr5:36%). Attainment: on schedule
  • Increase successful completion of transfer level English by first-time freshman in the first year by 2% per year. (Baseline:70%, Yr1:72%, Yr2:74%, Yr3:76%, Yr4:78%, Yr5:80%). Attainment: on schedule

Activity 2. Kahua Paʻa: Solid Foundation (Hawaiian Language Based Education)

Building a foundation of success, as measured in graduation and transfer rates, for Native Hawaiian students through Hawaiian language based coursework.

  • Increase the number of Hawaiian language based coursework by 1 course per semester (Baseline: 0, Yr1: 1, Yr2: 3, Yr3: 5, Yr4: 7, Yr5: 9).Attainment: on schedule
  • Increase number of Associate’s of Arts in Hawaiian Studies degree completers by 10% per year (Baseline: 9, Yr1: 10, Yr2: 11, Yr3: 12, Yr4: 13, Yr5: 14).Attainment: on schedule
  • Increase the number of overall degree completions by 5% per year (Baseline: 353, Yr1: 371, Yr2: 389, Yr3: 409, Yr4: 429, Yr5: 451).Attainment: on schedule
  • Increase graduation and transfer out rate at 150% of degree by 3% per year (generally 3 years, combined rate as reported to IPEDS) (Baseline: 30%, Yr1: 33%, Yr2: 36%, Yr3: 39%, Yr4: 42%, Yr5: 45%).Attainment: on schedule

Activity 3. Kahua ʻoihana: Workforce Foundation (Evening & Online Education)
Building resources, which use technology and flexible scheduling, to increase access and success to post-secondary education for working adults, as measured by enrollment, course success, and graduation rates.

  • Increase enrollment of Native Hawaiian adult learners by 2% per year (Baseline: 365, Yr1: 372, Yr2: 379, Yr3: 387, Yr4: 395, Yr5: 403) Action: Changed baseline to 304 in 2016 ARPD. Attainment: on schedule
  • Increase Online Course success by 1% per year (Baseline: 60%, Yr1: 61%, Yr2: 62%, Yr3: 63%, Yr4: 64%, Yr5: 65%).
  • Increase the number of overall degree completions by 5% per year (Baseline: 353, Yr1: 371, Yr2: 389, Yr3: 409, Yr4: 429, Yr5: 451). Attainment: on schedule
  • Increase graduation and transfer out rate at 150% of degree by 3% per year (Baseline: 30%, Yr1: 33%, Yr2: 36%, Yr3: 39%, Yr4: 42%, Yr5: 45%). Attainment: on schedule

Years: 2015-2020
Amount: $3,994,408

Status: in progress