The University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa has been selected as one of the nation’s safest colleges, according to the National Council for Home Safety and Security Safest Colleges in America 2017 report. UH Mānoa was ranked among the top 100 out of 2,167 four-year colleges and universities across the nation.
Universities were ranked using recent data from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting and the National Center for Education Statistics. Weighted criteria included: criminal crimes such as robbery and motor vehicle theft, VAWA (Violence Against Women Act) crimes, arrests such as drug law violations and illegal weapons possession and local crimes which accounted for 50 percent of the total.
Only universities with a student population above 15,000 were considered. Top-ranked colleges boasted low overall crime rates, including off campus and maintained safe campuses with little or no crime. Those that did not have crime information listed were excluded.
The top 100 schools had UH Mānoa ranked number 74. The number one school on the list is the University of New Hampshire.
UH Mānoa Department of Public Safety (DPS) is dedicated to providing and promoting a safe and secure campus. The DPS website features a variety of resources and information for the campus, including:
- Online sign-up for training sessions and workshops, including active shooter awareness and response, first aid/CPR/AED, safety and wellness and hurricane preparedness.
- Safety tips and sexual assault resources, available in five languages.
- A downloadable Emergency Response Guidebook, which provides a quick reference for emergency preparedness in a variety of emergency scenarios.
- Information and download links for a campus safety app, Mānoa Guardian, which gives the user the ability to call or text DPS, or use a safety timer feature as a virtual security escort.
- For information on crime statistics at UH Mānoa, please view the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report online.
“We recognize that campus safety can be an important factor to consider in the college decision process and we pride ourselves on our efforts and collaboration within our community, and our partnerships with the people we serve that make UH Mānoa a safe place to work, learn and live,” said Director of Campus Services and Interim DPS Chief Deborah Huebler,
For all of these resources and more, please visit the UH Mānoa DPS website.
More about the National Council for Home Safety and Security
The National Council for Home Safety and Security is a national trade association comprised of companies and individuals in the home safety and security industries. Their goal is to further public knowledge about home safety and security.